Monday, May 21, 2012

Diz Sings for the Butchers of America

I love records of jazz musicians singing, so I was happy to acquire this Dizzy Gillespie effort a while back. The title "Hey Pete" sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. Turns out I have heard it before, and the full lyrics are as follows:

"Hey Pete, let's eat more meat.
"Hey Pete, let's eat more meat.
"Cause the meat from the Texas cows is cheap."

These are shouted by the ensemble (apparently led by Diz) in the time-dishonored band vocal style. It has a certain jaunty character, but not enough to give one an impression of Gillespie's prowess as a vocalist. (He would, however, undoubtedly be effective in a butcher shop.)

Otherwise, it is a lively bop item with a spectacular solo by the leader. The other side, "One Alone," is NOT the aria from The Desert Song, but rather a dull bop ballad. Better they should have done the Romberg.

These items were recorded in May 1954 in New York's Fine Sound Studios, with the following personnel: Hank Mobley (ts) Wade Legge (p) Lou Hackney (b) Charlie Persip (d). "Hey Pete" also appeared on the LP "Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra." Another take of "One Alone" was on "Diz and Getz" even though Stan is not the man on tenor here.

Oh, and I was familiar with "Hey Pete" because Dizzy had recorded it five years earlier for RCA Victor.

This record has now been remastered in meaty ambient stereo.

6 comments:

Walking Oliver Productions, Ltd said...

Howdy Buster,
I've been a long-time fan of your Curiosities site and think this one is a great idea. Very much looking forward to more. Many thanks!
Paul

Satyr said...

You make my day with this one - love Dizzy Gillespie scattin' and swingin'

Thea said...

It's beautiful, thank you

styles said...

Love your off the wall picks, Buster, thanks.

Buster said...

styles - And I love people who love the "off the wall" stuff.

Buster said...

Ambient stereo version, Apple Lossless format:

https://mega.nz/file/SUdGRDwT#-5Jb3FkzE0FMjESKzhSIGoPLYgqsHrc5GyZfKuJOHeo