The back of the EP (below) indicates that this group includes lead singer Patty McGovern, which would date the recordings as being made before 1955. However, this particular release must date from several years later, because it's on SESAC Repertory Recordings, which didn't come into existence until 1958.
To clear up any mystery, SESAC was and is the smallest of the performing rights organizations (the others are ASCAP and BMI). I believe that SESAC had a transcription service to showcase works by its composers. The Honey Dreamers must have made some recordings for them, later issued on this and one or two other EPs.
Here they are accompanied by the excellent Richard Maltby band, and the tunes, while not deathless are enjoyable and characteristic of the time; the wordless "A Peach on a Beach" includes wolf whistles, etc. The performances are, if anything, better than on the Gershwin album on the Big 10-Inch Record site.The sound is lathered with reverb, but otherwise fine.

15 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/?84ohpu776w1l571
Thanks so much good sir!!
Wonderful post Buster! Thanks for this one!
Great Buster, Thanks. That Sesac stuff is rare. I have one album from Andy Williams with Skitch Henderson. Never seen it before and great quality. I'm looking for 15 years now for a few Anita Kerr albums on Sesac. Nowhere to be found. But I am a patient man.
I enjoyed the Gershwin so much, this was an unknown group for me. So thanks for giving us more!!
What a terrific cover & swell sound the group & Maltby make together.
Man these cats swing!
Thanks for sharing & doing a beautiful job.
Doug
Thanks to all for the comments. I really appreciate those of you who take the time to comment on a regular basis!
Ron, I can't recall if I have any of thoise Anita Kerr recordings, and unfortunately my LPs are inaccessible at the moment.
Oooh, nice!
There's an Anita Kerr LP and EP from SESAC that I know of, both Christmas. I only have the EP, but I think you can get it all at Amazon.
I have a Patty McGovern LP and just love it. SO I thank you for another chance to hear more of her work.
Thanks a lot!
i listened and I like it! very pleasant stuff
Great website, can't wait to browse.
Thanks!
I agree with JohnnyLovesRecords. It's really nice to hear more of Patty McGovern. Her LP is one of my desert island records.
Hello everyone - so pleased that the Honey Dreamers have found a belated audience. I have a fair number of their early singles, so I will have to prepare those for you all.
I'm just a little late to the party, but that is a pretty cool recording, Buster. Thanks!
Jack
Post a Comment