The record, a 78 with the cardboard cover at right, was probably offered as a souvenir of the church. Émile Vendette, carillonist of the Oratory in 1955-56, performs "Angels We Have Heard on High" and "Silent Night".
Carillons, which are collections of brass bells - in this case 56 of them weighing 12 tons - make an mighty noise, and this is a well recorded example. But they are unwieldy devices, played by striking paddles with fists, and are better suited to solemn music like "Silent Night" than such fare as "Angels We Have Heard on High". The sound of a carillon is not for those squeamish about intonation - not helped in this example by a warped pressing.Despite that, I am sure you will be impressed by the sound of this magnificent instrument. Quite a contrast to the music box record I posted on my other blog today!

4 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/?hhvpp496f9spfbh
Thanks very much! Reminds me of an RCA album we had in the family when I was a kid, "A Christmas Sound Spectacular" featuring John Klein at the Carillon Americana (which was a registered trademark). I actually found it on CD, not from RCA or BMG but from Schulmerich Bells in Penn., which company had manufactured the 1,453-bell Americana. The album was recorded at Schulmerich. Anyway, bells mean Christmas to me, though I'm aware that they are used for many purposes and to mark many events.... Thanks again.
Thanks for your note, Kevin. My family was more partial to the sounds of Mitch Miller. I never actually heard a carillon until I attended a university that possessed one. I have seen the record you mention on a number of occasions, but I don't think I have a copy.
Love it! I wish there were more tracks!
Post a Comment