Thursday, January 31, 2013

Patty Andrews

Patty Andrews, the last surviving Andrews sister, passed away yesterday. She was a fine singer, so I wanted to post one of her singles in tribute.

This particular item was recorded in Los Angeles in February 1952. At that time, Decca was issuing individual records by Patty along with ensemble recordings with her sisters. She was always the solo voice in the act, but these records allowed her to work in a different style from the bulk of the trio's repertoire.

The World War II song "I'll Walk Alone" was revived for the 1952 Jane Froman biopic, With a Song in My Heart, and Andrews' rendition contended with Froman's for popularity. The flip side, "That's the Chance You Take," was a new song, and not a bad one. Eddie Fisher's version was, I believe, more popular, although not superior to this one.

Andrews is in fact convincing in both songs, although her intense, forthright approach isn't all that well matched to Nelson Riddle's pastel arrangements. The off-mike effect at the end of "I'll Walk Alone" was a bad idea.

This is still a nice remembrance of a talented vocalist. The sound is good (for Decca, anyway).

7 comments:

Ernie said...

Thanks, Buster. Did you share all the songs from that Jane Froman pic at one time? Pretty sure I saw that 'round these parts.

Buster said...

Hi Ernie - Good point. I did share that, and the link is still live:

http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2010/09/with-song-in-my-heart.html

MusicalGuy38 said...

Thank you! Very sad. I've been thinking of Patti Andrews a few times just recently, knowing that she was one of the last personalities of the swing era still alive. I guess the sisters even played a role in the discovery of Frances Gumm aka. Judy Garland, in 1934.

Kevin WOlf said...

Thank you, Buster!

cowhandpete said...

Watched "In The Navy" (1941) last night in memory of her. She was wonderful in a otherwise weak Abbott and Costello picture.

bpl said...

Can you please restore both this and "With a song in my heart"? Rapidshare is gone for both of them. Thanks!

Buster said...

New link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j8gova3z8oq2hw1/Patty_Andrews_-_Decca_9-28038_%2845%29.zip