Friday, March 8, 2013

Vic Damone and Ralph Marterie

I recently was preparing a reup of one of trumpeter Ralph Marterie's LPs for my other blog, and enjoyed the listening experience so much, I pulled out a few other Marterie records for sharing.

One is this EP that paired the bandleader with the wonderful vocalist Vic Damone in four romantic tunes. This is presented as a "Sorority Serenade," reminiscent of the "Freshman-Sophomore Frolics" and the "Junior-Senior Prom" that were the names of two Ralph Flanagan LPs I recently offered on the 10-inch blog.

The songs are all associated with well known recordings - "Serenade in Blue" with the Glenn Miller-Ray Eberle recording, and the others with Frank Sinatra (at least in my mind). Damone stands up well to comparisons, his sole lapse being a unwelcome (and insecure) venture into falsetto.

The EP is from circa 1954 - "Serenade in Blue" and "That Old Feeling" were issued as a single in late 1953. The sound is excellent. The cover features dual disembodied heads depicting the principals, and even a bonus pair of severed heads from depiction of the sorority soiree.

16 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

http://rapidshare.com/files/2341331952/Vic%20Damone%20and%20Ralph%20Marterie%20-%20Sorority%20Serenade.zip

Your Pal Doug said...

What a neat cover & concept EP
I love the song That Old Feeling, thus I'm going to grab it now.
You have an amazing collection. I really appreciate you sharing them with us. Not too many people keep at it like you.

Kudos!

Buster said...

Thanks, Doug!

Kevin WOlf said...

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this...

Kevin said...

Thanks for this one!

sakilov said...

Thank you very much!

KL from NYC said...

Thank you very much for this one.

adilson said...

Prezado amigo estive fazendo uma visita em seu Blog,neste e no Outro pena q nenhum deles existe LINK disponivel estão tds desativados,mais os blogs são excelente ,Parbéns.

Unknown said...

Don't know if you will see this, as I am just a month and a half late...but nice to see Ralph and Vic together. What you find out on the music blogs is quite surprising sometimes. Thanks, Buster.
Jack

Buster said...

Jack - I see 'em all. Thanks so much for your comment! Hope you enjoy.

Unknown said...

Thanks Buster for these gems. The sound quality is excellent and the music is just marvelous indeed!!!

StealthMan said...

I'm just discovering the swell stuff here (and how much I like Tony Martin and Vic Damone), and I'm sorry to see this one has expired.

If you have a list of re-ups, I hope you'll add it.

Thanks, Buster.

Buster said...

Sure, can do.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!3ElEiTLb!VR9VUc7KkBtQcEkyHvwGUwK4xXg64CeNK-JMhqAs97w

StealthMan said...

Now I can go home and listen to Vic Damone croon to me. You made my day, Buster.

Thanks.

Scoredaddy said...

how'd I miss this??? thanks, Buster!