I've been celebrating the recordings of the recently deceased Fran Warren on my blogs recently. Here is what I believe to be the singer's first record, made with Charlie Barnet's band in October 1945, when she was 19.
Warren had already sung with the bands of Billy Eckstine and Art Mooney. As far as I can tell, she made only two records with Barnet; this is the first. It certainly is a creditable effort, showing great promise.
 |
| Warren |
Fran moved on to greater success with the Claude Thornhill aggregation - notably "A Sunday Kind of Love" - and as a solo artist. I have already shared some of her RCA Victor recordings
here and on the
Big 10-Inch Record, FYI.
 |
| Evans |
The flip side of this Decca 78 is also of interest. It shows off composer Redd Evans' chops as a singer (he's a little like Johnny Mercer, another singing composer). However, Evans did not write the song, "Surprise Party", nor was he a member of the Barnet band. He did have a sideline as a music publisher, however - and as publisher of this particular song, he sold both it and himself to Barnet.
As a composer, Evans usually wrote with Dave Mann, and was responsible for among others, "No Moon at All" (a Page Cavanaugh specialty), "The Frim-Fram Sauce" (a Nat Cole hit), "If Love Is Good to Me" (a Jackie Paris favorite), and "Let Me Off Uptown" (Anita O'Day and Roy Eldridge with Gene Krupa).
4 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://rapidshare.com/files/53433060/Charlie%20Barnet%20-%20Decca%2018722.zip
Thanks for these, Buster!
Steve
Thank you for helping me "discover" Fran Warren. I'm a fan of Kitty Kallen, Martha Tilton, Helen O'Connell, Doris Day (Happy 91),etc. But somehow Fran Warren slipped under my radar.
Reup (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!jAVyhS5I!rCEbMJjfHB4rJlZPFRlydklY3kSCJJZu2qb5napubh0
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v6d46dgv52rivqa/Charlie_Barnet_-_Decca_18722.zip
Post a Comment