"Playboy's Theme" is instantly memorable, and so became popular. It is not, however, terribly original, being influenced heavily by Bobby Timmons' "Moanin'," recorded in 1958 with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. (There's a great filmed version of the Messengers performing this live, with the original line-up of Blakey, Timmons, trumpeter Lee Morgan, tenor saxophonist Benny Golson, and bassist Jymie Merritt.)
In 1960, Coleman had already achieved moderate fame as a supper club pianist, with his trio, and had written a number of hits with lyricist Carolyn Leigh (notably "Witchcraft" and "The Best Is Yet to Come"). He and Leigh were just bringing their first musical to Broadway - Wildcat, with Lucille Ball. This was to be followed by the superb Little Me in 1962. Coleman then moved on to other successes with other collaborators.
![]() |
| Cy Coleman on Playboy After Dark |
The flip side of this record shows Coleman's considerable skill as a vocalist, interpreting Leigh's lyrics for "You Fascinate Me So," a song from several years earlier. Coleman didn't have much of a voice, but he sure knew how to sing.
[Note (June 2023): This recording has now been remastered in vivid ambient stereo.]


9 comments:
This one, on the other hand, I had seen before, and actually bought a few months ago. I gave it a listen and forgot about it. I thought it dated to the mid-70's, not the early sixties, but I really had no reason for thinking that. I'm sure you're rip will make me appreciate it more than a quick listen to a noisy vinyl ever could. :)
Hi Ernie - It's a keeper!
Thanks, Buster! Have you ever watched any of the episodes of "Playboy's Penthouse"? They're out on DVD. They include a nifty appearance by Teddi King, who seems like a singer who'd be up your alley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFb_JV0gkM0
Hi there - I have not seen them, so thanks for the link! You're right, Teddi King is up my alley.
Thank you
Thank you very much!
Thank you Buster!
Thanks for this curiosity!
Remastered version in ambient stereo, Apple lossless format:
https://mega.nz/file/KI82SDAa#pYwPpBqZOsD9uFhZqgz891_VtXqvu-l3NMGpRJ7XQPo
Post a Comment