Unlike Allen, Paar was not a musician, and so he did not make hundreds of records like his composer-pianist predecessor. As far as I can tell, he only made three - this sole single for RCA Victor from 1958, a single with singer Jack Haskell for Columbia in 1956, and a 1961 comedy LP that was given out to those who purchased a $1.47 tube of Jiffy Sew (the Liquid Mending Miracle). More of the LP were distributed than you might think - it still turns up in thrift stores.
This RCA 45 is actually quite good, no thanks to Paar. As the title "Blue Wiggle" might suggest, that side is the aural equivalent to a Jonah Jones LP cover, and this vaguely sexist theme carries through to the flip side, "Funny What You Learn from Women." Paar's role is limited to a monotone voice over the music tracks, which are largely the work of Jerry Teifer, a professional whistler and songwriter. "Blue Wiggle" - the better of the two tracks - combines Duane Eddy-style twangy guitar with Teifer's whistling to great effect.
![]() |
| Jerry Teifer |
Although Paar himself seldom recorded, the featured acts on his show were active in the studio. My other blog has just published Ruth Olay's Easy Living, Jack Haskell issued the unfortunately named Swings for Jack Paar on Strand in 1961 (I think I have that one somewhere), and pianist Jose Melis was very popular for a time, making any number of LPs that thrift stores have been throwing out for the past 50 years.



9 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!zFNGiaxB!V2J7TGOO3rGVWIGP68fEY6YH4PzM99-BMt4ygG0sA4o
https://www.mediafire.com/?wffnmqe3bvpd9wd
I was going to ask you about that "Best Of What's His Name" LP, but I see you're fully aware of it. I didn't know it was a freebie. And this single is new to me, so thanks!
Ernie - I have seen the LP many times, but never indulged. I actually never liked Paar that much and only picked up the single because of the "Blue Wiggle" title. On that basis, it did not disappoint.
Many thanks, Buster!
Oddly enough, I have another Jack Parr record: a 12-inch one-sided promo disc released by NBC in advance of Parr's takeover of The Tonight Show in 1957, titled Parr for Tonight. It's only about 6.5 minutes long, consisting of Parr live sandwiched between an intro and outro with Hugh Downs. I have no idea if the live material was later included on his one legit LP.
Kevin,
I doubt that was on the LP. I would be interested in hearing it if you have a dub. I love promos like that!
I'll see what I can do.
I just realized I misspelled Paar's name all through my comment. Ol' What's His Name indeed.
I love these silly celebrity releases! Thank you, Buster!!
Genious, enjoyed thisone a lot! Thanks for sharing your expertise my friend.. ^-^ .. Greetzzz from the Netherlands.
Post a Comment