Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Chop Suey from Frankie Yankovic

The is a spin-off from the post on my main blog of Malcolm Arnold's score for the 1958 war drama The Key. Included in the music was a theme confoundingly called the "Chop Suey Polka." The Columbia honchos decided it made sense for their prize polkateer, Frankie Yankovic, to take up the tune, and he dutifully etched it for this single release.

Arnold was a fine composer, but polkas were perhaps not his main line of interest, so this one, while insistently memorable, did not result in one of Yankovic's best records.

Fortunately, the flip side is a superb number called the "Roseann Polka," which shows off the bandleader's crack musicians to great effect. Unfortunately I don't know who plays on these particular cuts.

I enjoyed this so much that I plan to feature some of Yankovic's early Columbia LPs on my main blog in the near future.

4 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?8og5f3twkr730jo

Ernie said...

Thanks for this. I like Frankie because he seems to have a great sense of humor. Somewhere I have his version of Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. Who knew you could polka to that!

earlybird said...

Thanks so much for this Polka 45. This is such happy music that is needed in this much too serious world today.

Mitch

earlybird said...

Thanks so much for this Polka 45. This is such happy music that is needed in this much too serious world today.

Mitch