Her Miller sides aren't that memorable. Starr was a temporary replacement for Marion Hutton and the material and arrangements were not well suited to her. She is, however, recognizably "Kay Starr" on this 1944 date with alto saxophonist Charlie Barnet.
The 78 couples two Doris Fisher-Allan Roberts songs that were actually big hits - but for other artists. And to make it worse, those hits were on Barnet's label, Decca. "Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall" was a success for Ella Fitzgerald and the Ink Spots (principally Bill Kenny) and "You Always Hurt the One You Love" was a blockbuster for the Mills Brothers.
| Kay Starr with Charlie Barnet |
Starr soon became a single act and eventually moved along to Capitol. My other blog is featuring records she made for that concern from 1947-49.

6 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://www.mediafire.com/?47rc222szfb28rz
Thanks, Buster. I need to learn to pay more attention to the fine print on the 78s I look at, I'm sure I would have missed the "Vocal Chorus by Kay Starr" on there.
Thanks, Marty - here's an alternative:
http://www95.zippyshare.com/v/PH07DvxB/file.html
Love Kay Starr! I learned that from my Mom. We met her in Sacramento at the Jazz Festival in '95? She couldn't believe that I had so many of her CD's!
8HZUI - Never had a chance to hear her live, much less meet her! Thanks for your note.
I always liked the Spike Jones/City Slickers' version of YOU ALWAYS HURT THE ONE YOU LOVE---although that version was a parody of The Ink Spots rather than one of The Mills Brothers
Post a Comment