Saturday, July 7, 2018

Bing in Hawaii (and Iceland)

This is a tale of four locales - Hawaii, Hollywood, England and Iceland. They all pertain to the Bing Crosby picture-label 78 shown at right.

As you can see at right, the Hawaii location is the setting of The Groaner's 1937 flick Waikiki Wedding, produced of course in Hollywood. Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger wrote the tune "Blue Hawaii" for the film. Bing sang it with the wonderful Shirley Ross on the screen. For shellac purposes, he did a solo with Lani McIntire and His Hawaiians. McIntire was a steel guitar whiz who earned his island cred as a member of the legendary Sol Ho'opi'i Trio. "Blue Hawaii," although popular at the time, didn't really make a lasting impression on the public until murmured by Elvis Presley in the 1961 film of the same name.

Waikiki Wedding's big hit, which won an Academy Award, was "Sweet Leilani," a Harry Owens tune that Bing insisted on using in the film over the producer's objections. Owens led the band at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu, where Crosby first heard the number. On the commercial record, Bing cedes the first two vocal choruses to unnamed vocalists, presumably from the McIntyre ensemble.

Lobby card: Martha Raye and Shirley Ross flank Bing

Bing waxed two other songs from the score, both Robin-Rainger efforts. Victor Young provided the backing on "Sweet Is the Word for You"; Jimmy Dorsey handled "In a Little Hula Heaven." Young, Dorsey and McIntire were all on the payroll at Decca, where Crosby was the chief money-maker.

This post is designed to show off the nifty picture labels that Decca affiliate Brunswick slapped on the lacquer for sale in England and probably other markets. I found my copy in a interesting shop in Iceland, of all places. Brunswick issued two such 78s for Waikiki Wedding, and two additional discs for Bing's songs from Double or Nothing, also from 1937. I only have the "Blue Hawaii"/"Sweet Is the Word for You" coupling, alas. I'm not sure if Decca in the US employed a similar picture-label scheme, but I've never seen an example, if so.

My 78, visually mint, was almost unplayable. So I pulled out one of Decca's "Bing in Hollywood" reissue LPs from the 1960s and transferred the four Waikiki Wedding songs from that source. All are in the download.

Now that this blog has made a dramatic return to life, I'll see if I can locate a 78 or two by Crosby's co-star, Shirley Ross. Watch this space, just not too intently.

8 comments:

Ernie said...

I thought I saw something pop up here, and I was right! Never seen these picture labels, and the fact that you found them in Iceland is pretty cool! What in the world were you doing there? Thanks for sharing! I've got a whole handful of those Bing in Hollywood issues, but probably nowhere near all of them. Bing is one of those artists where you're never going to get it all. Never!

Buster said...

Hi Ernie - I am so glad you noticed! I was in Iceland on vacation. I think I might have all the Bing in Hollywood LPs, but you are right, it's impossible to get every Crosby record.

Mindy said...

Thanks for these songs!

Clutch Needy said...

Bing's still available to me in 2020, a pleasant surprise thank you

Buster said...

GL - Yes, most of my content should be available.

Macambo said...

Hi, the download link is down. I hope you will find time to reup. Thank you

Buster said...

New link:

https://mega.nz/file/iUMElSLD#KPzv6Of1TcDCsmTAMIp1FZ2zm4AJwGJN2Co32G3w35A

Macambo said...

Thank you