My
other blog recently posted an extensive selection of the recordings that drummer-singer-bandleader Ray McKinley made for RCA Victor from 1947-50. Now frequent contributor Bryan Cooper has come up with four more McKinley sides to add to the pile, along with some repeats that come from cleaner copies of the 78s.
All four of the new songs are vocals, split between McKinley and Artie Malvin. Ray does the singing on "What Did I Do?" and his own "Bahama Mama." Artie - identified as "Arthur" on one label - handles "All the Way from San Jose" and "The Morning Glory Road."
 |
| Artie Malvin |
Malvin had been in Glenn Miller's Army Air Force band with McKinley. He later sang with other orchestras, made a large number of budget-label cover records, and worked as a composer and arranger, winning Emmys and a Tony nomination. He does well by the "San Jose" and "Morning Glory" songs, which were new at the time.
"What Did I Do?" was taken up by many artists after being introduced by Betty Grable in
When My Baby Smiles at Me. I posted
Margaret Whiting's version on my other blog some years ago.
The best piece here may be McKinley's "Bahama Mama," which he sells effectively while backed by a Kenton-tinged arrangement of uncertain parentage.
The four repeats of my earlier post are "Put 'Em in a Box, Tie 'Em with a Ribbon," "You Can't Run Away from Love," "The Third Man Theme" and "I Don't Want to Be Kissed."
Thanks again to Bryan for his ongoing, very welcome contributions!
 |
| 1948 Billboard ad |
10 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/yEsz2CxT#WXV0CC1MlGp3n4YJin9UDwMOWzUnbng2yw0VWeJ3-h8
Thanks Buster! Now I'm that much closer to having a complete set of everything ever released by anyone. :)
I had to go look up the Dainty Brenda Lee song mentioned in that ad.
https://archive.org/details/78_dainty-brenda-lee_jack-lathrop-and-the-drugstore-cowboys-lloyd-bryer-puss-donahoo_gbia0007433a/Dainty+Brenda+Lee+-+Jack+Lathrop+and+The+Drugstore+Cowboys.flac
Turns out it's not the same girl. Brenda Lee turned 4 in late '48, and was probably still going by her birth name, Brenda Mae Tarpley. So many rabbit holes to explore...
I'd be more interested in the Cornbelt Symphony on the other side.
Which also isn't very good.
But the fact that I could hear it with just a couple of clicks! :) I love the Internet Archive! If the shipping weren't so much, I'd donate a ton of shellac to them and let them worry about it.
Thanks for all the McKinley, one of the most underrated drummers of all time. Maybe it's the glasses, but I always thought him the Joe Morello of the swing era. It's a shame he didn't play in Glenn Miller's civilian band. But, man, is he present on those Army Air Force discs.
While I've got your attention, a request: TCM's Noir Alley showed a 1958 movie, "Murder By Contract," that, like "The Third Man," featured a solo plectorist soundtrack--in this case by guitar player Perry Botkin, long Bing Crosby's music director. I know a 45 of the memorable "Third Man"-reminiscent theme was released on Decca but it is impossible to find. Do you, by chance, have this single or the full soundtrack album? By the way, it is a marvelous movie--possibly the most minimalist noir masterpiece ever made.
Hi David - Sorry, I don't have the single, and I don't believe there was an LP from that soundtrack - could be wrong, of course, and often am.
I have it, i.e. Perry Botkin's "The Executioner Theme"/"Waltz of the Hunter" (Decca 30912). Although it took a short while to register, as neither side is titled "Murder by Contract".
Also included is a British cover of "The Executioner Theme" by the Knightsbridge Strings, the now totally forgotten studio group that had a US hit around the same time with a version of Johnnie Ray's "Cry".
https://mega.nz/file/MOhxUbhS#VYy5DS-U3qjyiNbz39MXef11LzVSbVGjieHSyv4r03U
Boursin - Remarkable! Many thanks.
Post a Comment