In July, Derwin and Shaw set down two songs that had been written for major musicals of the time. The wonderful "That's for Me" had been introduced by Vivian Blane and Dick Haymes in Rodgers and Hammerstein's superb State Fair. The less-wonderful but still enjoyable "Yolanda," from Freed and Warren, comes from the Fred Astaire vehicle Yolanda and the Thief.
Soon thereafter, Shaw switched to the small but ambitious label Musicraft. In August or September, he and Derwin were in the studio for two standards, "(I Don't Stand) A Ghost of a Chance" and "How Deep Is the Ocean."
![]() |
| Hal Derwin |
None of the vocals are particularly well recorded, but the overall sound is adequate, with occasional background rustle.


5 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/mZNlhY4B#ume1JZYEEBV6FwfksWSWN50INGTtzvvhPvyS33RSOOQ
Thanks again, Buster! Never heard of him, and now I have a large chunk of his discography.
Hal made quite a few records with Shep Fields. I know because several have been included in Shep Fields' CD anthologies (most now o.p.) and some are available at the Internet Archive. You might try gathering them to make this well-deserved homage complete. In the mean time, my sincerest thanks. By the way, Bunny Briggs is featured on a number or two at the 1947 Charlie Barnet Town Hall Concert, which also has been reissued from time to time.
Thanks, David, I'll have to track down those Shep Fields records.
thank you!
Post a Comment