![]() |
| The young Fiedler |
The Philadelphia Orchestra version comes from 1946, when Ormandy was eight years into his 44-year tenure as music director. He had recently moved over from Victor to Columbia, which issued this endeavor on its own 78.
The Boston performance is perhaps the more lithe; the Philadelphians were unrivalled in the depth of their string tone, which has an intoxicating effect in the overture's rapid string figurations.
I do prefer the Fiedler, perhaps because it is much better recorded and because the pressing at hand is far superior. Either way, I am sure you will enjoy the experience.
![]() |
| Ormandy as the Phantom of the Orchestra |



3 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/3AUHWaBC#ndQ-TqXY-jlJcA27lHzPA68dUQWVoJmM2pestWIvzqs
Wonderful! Mr Fiedler is the 'Pops'! ...A classical Discography should change 1957 to 1857 in respect of Glinka's dates.
Hi Nigel - Ah, the eye for detail you have! I agree with you about Fiedler. Thanks for writing.
Post a Comment