One saving grace of Sanders of the River may be that it provided Robeson with an opportunity to deploy his magnificent bass voice in service of four songs by the composer Mischa Spoliansky and lyricist Arthur Wimperis. The latter later worked on several well known films, including Mrs. Miniver.
Spoliansky was a gifted musician, born in Russia and resident in Germany from 1914 on. There, he had made a living writing songs and playing the piano, notably accompanying tenor Richard Tauber in recordings of German folk songs and Schubert's Winterreise. After the Nazis came to power in 1933, Spoliansky moved on to London. Having developed a reputation through such popular German film songs as "Heute Nacht Oder Nie," he soon began working in the English film studios.
![]() |
| Sanders of the River: Nina Mae McKinney, Paul Robeson, Leslie Banks |
This is a companion to a post of Spoliansky's 1957 Saint Joan score, which is now available on the main blog. The Robeson singles here were refurbished from lossless files found on Internet Archive.


7 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/KZklxICY#BcD-291exvR2vUGcGSYK9YTYlBXoX-zTLBqhhq63po0
Neat find, Buster. Do you know if Robeson recorded music for those other English films as well, or is this the only result of cinema spree?
Hi Ernie - He did record at least one other song. I am going to see if I can locate it or them.
Only you, Buster, could have found this in the jumble of the Internet Archive. I don't know how you do it. I thought "Love Song" and the lullaby are the most successful sides, and Robeson sings them beautifully.
Thank you.
Hi Jerry - I don't remember how I came across them originally. I must have been looking for something to do with Robeson; at the same time I came up with a single called "The Peekskill Story," which is fascinating and which I may share here at some point.
Please do share "The Peekskill Story." My parents were there, and retold that horror story often.
They also had a 78 of "Killing Song" and "Congo Lullaby," which I listened to often growing up.
On an unrelated subject, I'm looking for an odd item: The Hal McKusick Quartet, "Ambrose (Just Keep Walking)," b/w "You're Everywhere" -- Glory (label) 45 rpm.
Here's a post about it:
https://www.jazzwax.com/2015/07/hal-mckusick-youre-everywhere.html
jazzfan1 - OK, I'll put up the Peekskill Story soon. I don't have that McKusick record, sorry!
Post a Comment