The single was part of a larger effort to improve the health of the state's citizens. The genesis of the campaign was North Carolina's poor record in providing manpower for the Second World War. About half the state's draftees were rejected for medical reasons. Clearly much more needed to be spent on public health, and the Frank-Dinah duet was designed to support that drive. (The download has an outline of the state's "Good Health Plan.")
![]() |
| Sheet music cover |
The record was only distributed in North Carolina, and the original single (label above) is something of a rare bird. The song was included in Columbia's Sinatra box set in the 90s, but this transfer is from a copy of the 78 found on Internet Archive.
I was surprised to see that the label attributes the backing to Kyser. The aural evidence says it's Sinatra's regular arranger-conductor Axel Stordahl, and the Sinatra sessionography supports that.
The flip side of "It's All Up to You" was a genuine Kyser recording. Appropriately, it's his rendition of "Carolina in the Morning," with a vocal by Gloria Wood and the Campus Kids. After consulting Nigel Burlinson's Kyser discography, it appears to me that this title was not otherwise released.



5 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/2d9XAJiJ#ObQ5O0U96D5ZkVr36VB9wzb9jvsTR9sfFDzIv1XTQaI
Wow, that's different! Seems like there's always something new to discover! Did I send you a copy of the Dinah Shore side for Chevy dealers? Not sure...
Ernie - No, I haven't seen that one!
I found a copy of this record yesterday, but I didn't buy it because it was beat to death. But I was looking it up today, and found an entry that implies it was released in Australia, but credited to Stordahl, not Kyser. Check it out!
https://www.discogs.com/release/11946556-Frank-Sinatra-Dinah-Shore-I-Have-But-One-Heart-Its-All-Up-To-You
Ernie - Very interesting that the Aussies did not feel the need to attribute it to Kyser.
Post a Comment