Sunday, October 16, 2022

Astaire and Guests in 'A Damsel in Distress'


The previous installments in this series of Fred Astaire recordings have included three Astaire-Rogers films, all of which spawned commercial 78s by both Fred and Ginger. Today's entry, 1937's A Damsel in Distress, doesn't offer any Rogers songs because she didn't appear in the film. Her replacement was the limp Joan Fontaine, who didn't dance very well or sing at all. So to fill out the program of four Astaire performances, I have added two contemporary recordings by cabaret artists of the time.

A Damsel in Distress was loosely based on a P.G. Wodehouse story and play, characteristically involving intricate nonsense at an English manor house. Astaire played an American dancer - type casting - with radio favorites George Burns and Gracie Allen as accomplices. English bandleader Ray Noble played the silly-ass Bertie Wooster-type that was a constant in Wodehouse stories.

Beside Astaire, the stars of the show were the Gershwin brothers and their splendid songs. Fred's main numbers are all famed - "Nice Work If You Can Get It," "I Can't Be Bothered Now," "Things Are Looking Up" and particularly "A Foggy Day." These were among the brothers' last songs together - George died during the production at age 37.

Astaire recorded his four numbers in Los Angeles in October 1937 - about a month before the film opened - with backing by Ray Noble's band. These are all superb records. "I Can't Be Bothered Now" starts with Fred dancing and being unsuccessfully interrupted by a vocal group chanting in time, "Telegram for Mr. Astaire" and him responding "I'm dancing and can't be bothered now!" and so forth.

'A Foggy Day'
"A Foggy Day" begins with a mournful trombone, with the arrangement brightening at "Suddenly, I saw you there." "Things Are Looking Up" begins with the verse, usually omitted, which sets off the sunny chorus. Astaire's singing is backed by what sounds like tap dancing, but it was probably effects provided by the drummer.

Fred does dance in "Nice Work If You Can Get It," which again begins with the verse. This features one of Ira Gershwin's best set of lyrics, but all these songs are distinguished both in music and words.

George Byron
The film also includes two mock madrigals, including "The Jolly Tar and the Milkmaid," which has a wonderful Ira Gershwin lyric perhaps more influenced by W.S. Gilbert than the Renaissance masters. In the film, this number is almost a throwaway as Fred joins a madrigal group, but the droll piece stands on its own very well. In this set, I've included a contemporary recording by the West Coast cabaret artist George Byron, who handles the piece nicely. Byron has been heard on my other blog in music of Jerome Kern.

The download also includes a medley of songs from the score as performed by songwriter-pianist Edgar Fairchild for the Liberty Music Shop label. Fairchild has appeared on my other blog in an Oh, Kay! medley with fellow composer-pianist Ralph Rainger. Here he is mated with an unnamed guitarist, perhaps George Van Eps, who was active on the West Coast at the time.

One other song from the score was not to my knowledge recorded at the time but has been since. "Stiff Upper Lip" - introduced by Gracie Allen - has been done by Ella Fitzgerald among others. Gracie sings the number during the extended "fun house" scene. It is one of the best parts of the film, not least because of its spectacular moderne set.

In the fun house with Burns, Allen and Astaire
The download includes the usual passel of stills and posters. The transfers were cleaned up from Internet Archive needle drops. The sound in the Astaire songs is excellent. The Byron and Fairchild pressings are a bit grainy.

5 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/file/GZF0RZaT#yJv-FyHO1jqigJcrrm2m1iqrpNHYA-3pFmpkMhDhDs8

Ernie said...

My takeaway from this is not the music so much as the fact that George Gershwin died at such a young age. I didn't know that. With so much music under his belt, I always figured he lived to a ripe old age. Now I know. Thanks, Buster!

Buster said...

Ernie - Yes, that in particular was such a sad loss. He had only just begun his career, really.

Addison said...

Since this post hasn't gotten as much love as the others in the series, I'm going to thank you for it, Buster.

I have a soft spot for "Damsel in Distress"—despite Joan Fontaine—because George and Gracie are in it, and especially Gracie, who proves she was a real triple threat. In 1937 they had a couple of movies still to come, including "Honolulu," where she co-stars with Eleanor Powell, and "The Gracie Allen Murder Mystery," which she made without George. I think they do very well in the numbers they do with Astaire, and they keep up with him much better than Fontaine. "Damsel" is a curiosity, but well worth seeing for its highlights and the songs.

Buster said...

Thanks, Addison - I do like this film myself. I saw it in a theater about 50 years ago. Movies, even in black and white, on the big screen are very impressive. I love the fun house scene!