Trombonist-vocalist Jack Teagarden made quite a number of records during his long career as a bandleader - from 1930 until his relatively early death in 1963. Some of the best involved the Chicago school musicians with whom he was sympatico. These four recordings, dating from 1944, are a good example."Jack Teagarden and His Swingin' Gates" were among the many brand names that the Commodore record company appended to the records that Teagarden and like-minded musicians recorded for the label from 1938 through the 1940s. Similar aggregations were issued under the names of Eddie Condon, Miff Mole, Bobby Hackett or just as a "Jam Session at Commodore."
Jam sessions they were, too, with a typical date involving any number of tunes associated with these neo-Dixieland outfits. This December 1944 session is an example. One classic from 1915 ("Chinatown, My Chinatown"), another favorite from 1929 (Hoagy Carmichael's "Rockin' Chair"), one blues ("Big T Blues"), and one number based on W.C. Handy ("Pitchin' a Bit Short"). The session is so relaxed that the title of the last song evidently refers to its being about a quarter-tone flat (which I've corrected).
The Commodore dates all include fine musicians. On this one, we have Max Kaminsky on trumpet, Ernie Caceres on baritone sax, Jack's sister Norma on piano, Pops Foster on bass and George Wettling on drums. Wingy Manone joins in on the "Rockin' Chair" vocals with Teagarden. (It's sort of like listening to two Louis Armstrongs.)
![]() |
| Max Kaminsky, Norma Teagarden, Wingy Manone |
These recordings are similar in style to the Bobby Hackett Commodore records I posted here, and a similar forthcoming Hackett collection, which involves Big T on a few cuts. The sound here is very good, with presence enhanced by ambient stereo processing.


5 comments:
Link (ambient stereo Apple lossless format)
https://mega.nz/file/CNF3mbKT#P8YXbB2ptQ51l5rqhLEtrQrCNwQg9g7JbBUVFLo92s8
Great
Thanks, Buster. I had a sixties vintage Teagarden collection once with a title that called him Mr. T, and it was at the top of a stack of records when a friend came over. She commented about how weird I was because that wasn't the Mr. T she knew.
Ernie - I am tempted to say "I pity the fool" etc., but this again is an example of the fleeting nature of fame. I am sure many younger people don't know either Mr. T. I think that record you had may have been the last that Teagarden made.
Could be. I didn't realize he passed away so early.
Post a Comment