Why didn't America's Sweetheart succeed? Its critics grumbled that Hollywood satires were old hat, and that Herbert Fields' book was inferior to Kaufman and Hart's Once in a Lifetime. The story line hinged on the changeover to talkies and the havoc it brought to the industry and its actors. (Rodgers, Hart and Fields may have been 20 years ahead of their time, considering the success of Singin' in the Rain.)
![]() |
| Jack Whiting and Harriette Lake |
The leads were by all accounts appealing. One, appearing under her birth name of Harriette Lake, later became famous as Ann Sothern. The male lead was Jack Whiting.
Lake and Whiting introduced the two memorable songs from the show - "I've Got Five Dollars" and "We'll Be the Same." The former is a Depression song, and a wonderful one at that, with some of Hart's most winning lyrics. Lake sang:
"I've got five dollars / Eighty-five relations / Two lace combinations / They belong to you!
"Two coats with collars / Ma and Grandma wore 'em / All the moths adore 'em / They belong to you!"
The verse includes this gem: "I was more selfish / And crabby than a shellfish."
"I've Got Five Dollars" has been recorded any number of times, including several efforts when it was new. "We'll Be the Same" - a first-rate example of Rodgers and Hart's magic - is neglected, with only a few releases when new and a handful thereafter.The best version of the latter song I have heard is by Tammy Grimes, and can be found in the collection of her work I recently posted. Today, however, we will go back to 1931 and a 78 by Victor Arden-Phil Ohman and Their Orchestra that couples it with "I've Got Five Dollars."
![]() |
| Victor Arden and Phil Ohman |
Arden, Ohman and their pianos had been heard in several Broadway shows during the 1920s, including Rodgers and Hart's Spring Is Here. They don't seem to have been in America's Sweetheart, however.
For these two songs (and many other records), Arden and Ohman engaged Frank Luther for the vocal choruses. Luther seemed to live in the recording studio for several years, working under his own name, as "Bud Billings" for the country market, and with various vocal groups. Luther had a good reputation, although here his singing could best be described as accurate rather than ingratiating. His choppy phrasing does nothing for Hart's lyrics, to be sure.
![]() |
| Lee Wiley and Frank Luther |





6 comments:
Link (ambient stereo, Apple lossless format):
https://mega.nz/file/mB9RnRoQ#aDZB5bA1sk-hMZ8QnylxUHLuOWban6iw9_htaNMI3OE
Ah, Frank Luther. Is there anything he didn't sing? :) Thanks, Buster!
As far as I know, he never waxed "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott."
Charlot - And he, a Luther, no less.
I do love Arden and Ohman and have never heard these sides sound so good. Many thanks Buster. Theirs is one of the first (possibly THE first) recording/s of 'Beautiful Love'.
Thanks, Phillip - glad you like them!
Post a Comment