Monday, October 2, 2023

Constant Lambert Conducts 'The Skaters Waltz'



In 1937, Composer-conductor Constant Lambert (1905-51) devised a ballet score for the Vic-Wells Ballet called Les Patineurs, utilizing music from two operas by Giocomo Meyerbeer. Selections from that score have appeared on disc several times, including a set by Lambert in 1939. My other blog has the 1950 Sadler's Wells recording led by John Hollingsworth, one of Lambert's successors with the company.

Émile Waldteufel
By the time of the Hollingsworth recording, Lambert was a sick man who would survive only until August of the following year. Fortunately the UK Columbia company had him in the recording studio several times in 1950, with his final session in late September. Among those last dates were a few devoted to the works of Émile Waldteufel (1837-1915), the Alsatian composer whose best-known work was another (and better known) Les Patineurs - in the Anglophone world usually called The Skaters Waltz.

Lambert also recorded more works by Waldteufel at the same time - EstudiantinaPomone and Sur la plage. I don't - or to be more accurate, Internet Archive does not - have those discs. A shame because Lambert and the Philharmonia Orchestra do Les Patineurs beautifully, and the Kingsway Hall sound as remastered in ambient stereo is excellent.

I admire Lambert's conducting, and generally like his championing of lighter works such as this. In his last year of recording, he had a final go at Walton's Façade (which can be found on my other blog), plus Suppé's Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna (also available there). His last recorded performance was his own arrangement for orchestra of Chabrier's piano piece Ballabile (which I don't have).

5 comments:

Buster said...

Link (ambient stereo, Apple lossless format):

https://mega.nz/file/7cVyFSCa#X_MXIqdJwHOSCxJDkf6mp533jl6hx0P8Zivhas1Ozc4

Ernie said...

Try as I might, I can't post a comment here from my computer. Not sure if the same issue is affecting all visitors, but maybe. I'm posting this from my phone. Anyhow, thanks fir the near-Christmas music!

Buster said...

Hi Ernie - Hey, that's right! Didn't even think of that. The issue with posting has affected others, even me at times. I think it has to do with what Google account (if any) it sees when you come to the site, although that shouldn't make a difference. I believe I allow anonymous posts.

Ernie said...

Third time's a charm, and it was able to recognize me just now. I've got gmail open in another tab, and I can click the sign in button in the upper right and it takes me right to my own blogger page, but it won't always log me in to comment. Sometimes it will work if I click over to the Gmail tab and then back here real quick, like it's passing on the info, but not always. It's weird...

Buster said...

Yeah, seems almost random. It used to be that I could not comment from my phone (although I have the Gmail app) but could on my laptop. Now sometimes it's the other way around.