Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Completing the Vic Damone Silvertone 78s

Vic Damone c1946-8
Some time ago on my main blog I posted most of the recordings that the great singer Vic Damone made for Sears' Silvertone Record Club circa 1946-7. These were among his first records, along with the three songs he contributed to an early 1947 Rodgers and Hart album and perhaps some of his Mercury output.

Those Silvertone singles came from my collection. Now I have found the remaining three Silvertone sides on Internet Archive and am presenting them here to compete the set of 14.

The new items start with "My Blue Heaven" (with Ted Dale's orchestra), which was the first Damone Silvertone. Also in the set are two with Tutti Camarata - "Something to Remember You By" and "Dancing in the Dark."

These all demonstrate that Vic was an accomplished singer right from the start, although certainly under the spell of Sinatra. The sound is good, but note that the single with Camarata has quite a bit of surface noise.

The recordings I posted previously are in better shape, and I've newly remastered them in ambient stereo.

From the 1947 Sears Christmas catalog

The Silvertone Record Club was a high-toned pop and light classical label that Sears operated from 1946-49. 

From my earlier post: "I believe that Sears contracted with Mercury for its Damone output ... Many of the songs first issued on Silvertone show up in his Mercury discography as well. It seems likely that the masters reverted to Mercury after the Sears imprint went under.

"So why transfer these if some can be found on Mercury issues? First, because the majority come from 12-inch masters, and I believe that Mercury shortened them for subsequent release. Second, not all of them were re-released. And most importantly, they are fine examples of Damone's balladry, and thus enjoyable in and of themselves."

LINK

4 comments:

gimpiero said...

Great

Ernie said...

Coolio! Thanks for following up (and revamping) that earlier post. I love complete collections. :)

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero.

Buster said...

Ernie - Me too!