 |
| The sign . . . the song |
Today's subject is Freddy Martin's 1947 disc of "Pico and Sepulveda," which somehow became the theme song of Dr. Demento's long-running novelty record show in the 1970s and even inspired a raft of amateur cover versions.
 |
| Eddie Cherkose |
"Pico and Sepulveda" is a wacked-out recitation of Los Angeles street names which culminates in a yearning desire to settle down in the La Brea Tar Pits "where nobody's dreams come true." The lyrics were the inspiration of Eddie Cherkose, who also wrote under the name Eddie Maxwell, including several songs for and with Spike Jones. For "Pico and Sepulveda" Cherkose managed to get Jule Styne to write the music. If you chant "Pico and Sepulveda," you'll get the gist of the tune.
Freddy Martin was under contract with the Victor people, so he, his band and Cherkose ended up at the new Ambassador label, where the "Pico" song was release number 1001. (In other words, 1.) For label purposes, Martin became Felix Figueroa - Figueroa being another LA street name. It's not clear who is singing, but it could be Cherkose.
The other side of the record is another Latin semi-novelty, "She of the Black Coffee Eyes," written by Harold Spina, best known for "Annie Doesn't Live Here Anymore." That might be Martin's then-singer Stuart Wade vocalizing on the flip side; both he and the "Black Coffee Eyes" crooner were baritones, anyway.
 |
| Freddy Martin, presumably not at the 'Pico and Sepulveda' session |
Cherkose also recorded a few items with saxophonist Neely Plumb, who otherwise led bands for cover records. One such song, for the Rhythmtone label, was yet another Latin novelty called "That Half-Hacienda of Mine," with vocal by "Eddie Maxwell (the Semi-Spaniard)" and Plumb leading the "Frijole Philharmonic." On another Rhythmtone release called the "Double Corncerto" Plumb was in charge of the Alfalfa Philharmonic. I would not be surprised to learn that both songs appeared on Dr. Demento's show.
I have spared you the experience of these Neely Plumb numbers; the download includes just "Pico and Sepulveda" and its discmate, cleaned up from an Internet Archive original.
6 comments:
Well, that was interesting. Now I wanna hear the Half-Hacienda song! :)
https://archive.org/details/78_that-half-hacienda-of-mine_neely-plumb-the-frijole-philharmonic-eddie-maxwell-max_gbia0401455b
Ernie - Oh yeah, I listened to it as part of my "research" for this post.
Buster, as a long time Dr. Demento fan, I really appreciate the background. Felix Chevrolet was a local car dealer "at the Big Cat Corner of Jefferson and Figueroa" as their jingle used to say.
Carlyle - Thanks for the added info! I never lived in LA, but was there on business many times. I think I remember the Felix Chevrolet sign - did they use Felix the Cat?
Yes, they made a special arrangement with Pat Sullivan, the creator of Felix The Cat.
Post a Comment