Saturday, June 21, 2025

More of 'Today's Hits' from 1955

Here's another in a series of Today's Hits EPs from RCA Victor's Camden budget line, this one dating from 1955. The vocalists are Jack Haskell and Jeannie McKeon; the bandleader Johnny Guarnieri.

The pop music landscape was changing at the time, and the chosen songs give some clues to the market: two ballads, one R&B song and a old-timey medley.

Haskell was the better known of the two singers. At the time he was a regular on the Today Show on NBC, not coincidentally owned by RCA. He made a few LPs, which I believe I have, some singles and at least two more of these Camden EPs.

Jeannie McKeon otherwise only recorded for the small Black & White label in the 1940s, including a 78 album that I may offer later on. I suspect she was a studio singer in the 1950s.

Johnny Guarnieri, who has appeared on my other blog a few times, made his name as a pianist in the Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw bands. He did a number of these Camden collections along with a variety of other albums.

Jack Haskell

Jack Haskell leads off the collection with a smooth reading of "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup." This Anna Sosenko song was first recorded by Hildegarde in 1935, but in 1955 the song was a hit for Nat King Cole. Jack had many good qualities - a nice voice, excellent diction - but he lacks Cole's unique charisma.

Jeannie McKeon

Jeannie McKeon does not have such formidable vocal competition for her solo song. "How Important Can It Be" was a chart success for Joni James, who had an appealing vulnerable quality but was not a strong singer. The song itself, by Bennie Benjamin and George David Weiss, is not a particularly good one, but Joni rode it almost to the top of the charts.

Johnny Guarnieri

Johnny Guarnieri gets to show off his virtuosity in the "Crazy Otto Medley." This was one of a series of rickety piano tunes that were popular in the postwar years for reasons that can only be imagined at this late date. The piece was inspired by a German pianist named Fritz Schulz-Reichel, who called himself "Crazy Otto." The American pianist Johnny Maddox slapped together a bunch of Schultz-Reichel's numbers into a medley he called "The Crazy Otto" that became popular over here. I don't believe that Guarnieri's selections match Maddox's - he includes a transgression against Dvořák's "Humoresque" yoked together with the 1918 pop song "Smiles."

Finally, McKeon and Haskell get together for the drab "Pledging My Love," the posthumous R&B hit by Johnny Ace written by Ferdinand Washington and Don Robey. They do what they can with it, which isn't much.

It occurs to me that after dissing Joni James and Johnny Ace I have albums by both in my collection. No Crazy Otto, though.

LINK


12 comments:

musicman1979 said...

You neglected to mention that "How Important Can It Be" also was a notable chart success for Sarah Vaughan in 1955. The arrangement has a unique string flourish in Hugo Peretti's arrangement, plus there is a sample of vocal overdubbing in Sassy's singing of the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVWuiFco_U

Also, I personally know someone on the Songs of the '50's and '60's Facebook groups who went to see Johnny Maddox several times and even recorded some of his shows at the small establishments where he was appearing. "The Crazy Otto" also appeared on RCA Camden's Biggest Hits of 1955 album.

And I am looking forward to (hopefully) hearing that Johnny Ace album in the future on the main blog. All you hear now whenever they play him is "Pledging My Love". Just listened to the Elvis version on his Moody Blue album last night.

Buster said...

musicman - I can't imagine going to see Johnny Maddox even once, but then to each his own. I make no promises about Johnny Ace - but that Tony Martin LP you wanted in next in the queue on the other blog.

musicman1979 said...

GREAT! Looking forward to listening to it. Thanks.

RecordCollector said...

Love this one Buster. Thanks for the effort to post it!

gimpiero said...

Great

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

Buster said...

RecordCollector - Happy to do it!

Ernie said...

The whole story of Crazy Otto had me confused for a while. I still don't think I understand the phenomena fully...

Buster said...

Ernie - Yeah, I have a hard time understanding how the two Crazy Ottos sold so many records.

musicman1979 said...

The original "Crazy Otto Medley" by Johnny Maddox had "Humoresque" on the flip side, so it was kind of surprising to hear it here. This side is more Pop-sounding and less honky-tonky than Maddox's original, yet here Johnny Guarnieri gives the medley flashes of the kind of sound than Johnny Maddx would use on the albums he released independently after he left Dot at the end of the '60's. As much as I like Nat King Cole, this version of "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup" is excellent, with Jack Haskell kind of having a combination of the vocal styles of Don Rondo, Johnny Desmond, and Buddy Clark. I have never thought of "Pledging My Love" as a duet, yet Haskell and McKeon to an excellent job with it.

musicman1979 said...

The version of "How Important Can It Be" posted here seems to follow the Sarah Vaughan arrangement minus the string chart of Sassy's. Jeannie does a great job on this, with her vocal of one of the lines at the end of the number sounding eerily similar to that of Sassy's vocal style. Another excellent five-star collection here.

Buster said...

musicman - I really like McKeon. I may post some of her other material.