Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Jeri Southern - Querida

I recently acquired a 78 by Jeri Southern containing what I believe is another unre-released song, called "Querida". It is on the flip side of "Dancing on the Ceiling," which subsequently appeared on LP.

"Querida" is a good song, well sung by Southern. "Dancing on the Ceiling," one of the best Rodgers and  Hart songs, is a fine example of the singer's combination of intensity and inwardness.

Jeri Southern
The recording was made in New York in September 1952. Ex-big band arranger Norman Leyden leads the musicians.

Good sound, although there is some sibilance on Southern's vocal.

This is an addendum to the two sets of uncollected Southern singles available on my other blog, Big 10-Inch Record.

6 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless format):

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?huh4dxznr8z5bdv

Ernie said...

I think I can count the number of Jeri Southern recordings I've ever seen in person on one hand, maybe on one finger. Where do you dig these things up???

Buster said...

Well, this one was in Pittsburgh. Also, you are not as ancient as I am, so I have longevity on my side.

Ernie said...

Never been to Pittsburgh... :(

Rio Veneno said...

I absolutely agree with Ernie. Those two singles are a great add to your other single's compilation of Jeri's works... Thanks, really!! :)

Buster said...

Thanks, Rio Veneto!