This is one of the more high-class promotional records I have come across. It was issued in advance of an October 1957 exhibition of pre-Columbian musical instruments at New York's Andre Emmerich Gallery.To mark that occasion, Emmerich put out this 7-inch, 33-rpm record in a gatefold sleeve. One side is an introduction to the exhibition (and the artworks) by CBS commentator Charles Collingwood, an art collector. The other contains music for the old instruments commissioned from Australian composer Peggy Glanville-Hicks. For some reason, they called the exhibition "Music Before Columbus," which would lead you to think you would hear ancient music - not something newly composed.
![]() |
| P. Glanville-Hicks |
![]() |
| Charles Collingwood |
I don't want to seem cynical - the Emmerich Gallery was a distinguished institution, with a specialty in pre-Columbian art. And what they produced is enjoyable, and using art in service of promotion was laudable.


7 comments:
Link (Apple lossless format):
http://www.mediafire.com/?knozpprveb4e9ia
Another very interesting record. Thanks for sharing, because I'd otherwise never find or hear these selections, I'm sure.
Thank you for this work, which is new to me. Glanville-Hicks was a very busy composer in the 50s and was involved in presenting modern, especially American music. Several recordings of her music were on MGM records. Her opera "Transposed Heads" was recorded by Louisville.
I believe she wrote all the entries for contemporary American composers in the 1954 Grove Encyclopedia. What a fascinating figure. Her 'Letters from Morocco' have texts by Paul Bowles.
thank you very much for this rare acoustic artifact. -cheers, a.v.
Shamefully belated thanks from me, too - fascinating! Do you know what the preceding two volumes in the series contained? Best wishes, Nick
Hi Nick - Sorry, I don't know what was on them.
Post a Comment