Sunday, August 5, 2012

Johnny Prophet

This is a memorial post for the fine but almost unknown singer Johnny Prophet (given name Profeta), who died last week at age 87.

Writer and record producer Bill Reed has written several times about the singer, and recently said, "I feel there is a case for deeming Prophet the most underrated of all the purveyors of the Great American Songbook." You can read Prophet's obituary on Bill's blog, People vs.Dr. Chilledair.

Prophet made a few records dating back to the early 50s, but his big break was when Frank Sinatra's label, Reprise, signed him in the early 60s, on the strength of an LP he had made for a small label. But Reprise was sold not long thereafter, and the big break did not lead to big stardom. Nonetheless, Prophet had a long career singing in Nevada saloons and night clubs near his California home, and issued at least five albums (two of which I have, somewhere).

Here is an early record, one of two singles Prophet recorded for Coral in 1953. Johnny might have had some kind of connection with songwriter Ralph Freed, because both of the songs here are from Freed's pen, and the sheet music at left (of a song not on this record) also was Freed's work.

"Come Back Little Sheba" must have been written in conjunction with the film of the William Inge play, which came out the same year. However, as far as I know the song was not used in the film. On the record Sheba is a women; in the play she is a dog.

The flip side is a waltz called "Ask Her While You're Dancing". Both songs are entirely conventional if not unattractive, and both are graced by characteristic Nelson Riddle arrangements. The waltz is distinctly reminiscent of an arrangement that Riddle would soon do for Frank Sinatra at Capitol (which I can't place at the moment). Prophet sounds quite at home, smooth, confident and in excellent voice. He was a true talent.

4 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless format):

http://www.mediafire.com/?3v9pqm0e4afktml

Kevin WOlf said...

Thanks for sharing. Can't say I really care for either of these tracks but I'm happy to hear of another singer I was not aware of. I'd be interested to hear his later work.

Trumark said...

@ Kevin W....And it was said in ancient times, "Verily, I say unto you, No Prophet is accepted in his own country." LUKE 4:24

Buster said...

Trumark - Verily!