Thursday, July 26, 2012

Buddy Clark

This is the 100th anniversary of the birth of the great vocalist Buddy Clark. (Thanks to Will Friedwald for that intelligence.) To mark the occasion, I've uploaded one of his 1948 singles, which I recently acquired.

On one side, Buddy takes on Leon René's "Gloria", a song that later became a doo-wop favorite. I have to say I prefer Ronnie Deauville's hypersensitive interpretation, but this is a good one, too. The flip is Harold Rome's "The Money Song", from the show That's the Ticket. The one was also recorded by Martin and Lewis, and Clark's rendition is to be preferred to that raucous affair.

Buddy Clark
On both sides, Clark has the backing of two notable singing groups, the well-known Modernaires, and the Skylarks, who also recorded with Bing Crosby, Tommy Dorsey and others, and were often on American television.

Clark died in a 1949 plane crash, at the peak of his popularity. It's a shame he isn't better remembered.

The sound on these sides is good. I think this may be the only green-label Columbia promo 78 I own (the rest of them are white). Love the crew cut DJ on these labels.

8 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless format):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zowvw287a10zmy7

Ernie said...

The man so good, he needed two back-up groups! I've never seen a green label like this either, must be something special.

TupeloBrian said...

First heard Buddy Clark at age 9 on the Reader's Digest set Million Dollar Memories. How are Things in Glocca Morra, Love Somebody, Linda and Baby It's Cold Outside were on that set.

Buster said...

@ TupeloBrian - Ah yes, some of his best-known records. By the way, there are other Buddy Clark records on my other blog, although I'm not sure if the links are still live.

Tucker Van Horn said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the upload, and thanks for starting this other blog. There hasn't been a single post of yours that I haven't liked. Thanks again for taking the time to share with us all.

Buster said...

Thanks Tucker, very nice of you to say so.

RTM said...

A real treat. His recordings are always excellent. I'm dying to find a copy of his version of "The Night Has a 1,000 Eyes," but no luck yet.

StealthMan said...

Another great one still available.

Thanks for this one, Buster.