This Dinah Shore EP is one half of a miniature celebration of this wonderful singer and personality, going on today here and on my other blog, where you will find her 10-inch LP, "Dinah Shore Sings the Blues".
Back in those days, record companies fought with one another to record the latest hits from Broadway - and prospective hits even before they opened. For the biggest names - such as Rodgers and Hammerstein - they would cover all the songs from a given show. Such was the case with 1951's "The King and I." RCA Victor brought Shore, Robert Merrill, Patrice Munsel and Tony Martin into the studio to record the songs. Dinah's recording of "Getting to Know You" came out on a single in 1951 (coupled with "The End of a Love Affair").
This EP, circa 1953, combines "Getting to Know You" with three others, all in excellent versions conducted by Henri René. The sonorous bass-baritone of the Met's Robert Merrill is heard with Dinah on "Shall We Dance."
RCA was saving on photography costs in 1953 - this EP and the LP on my other blog use the same photo of the photogenic Miss Shore. It's not badm but how much better is the contemporaneous glamour shot at left, in color! She was one of those people who got better looking as she aged, unlike the rest of us (well, me anyway) who have suffered the indignities of age from the time we hit our 20s.


13 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
https://mega.co.nz/#!XVUmUa5Q!YKbnjDOp09QoRQ0tK3JxSg8ZiQMlQ9zER25t2B2G2Do
http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/75688416/file.html
Thanks very much! Can't have too much Dinah Shore!
And again, A big thank you.
People weren't in color back then, Buster, don't be silly!
This is wonderful - I never heard the verse to Hello Young Lovers on any versions I have, I probably saw the movie years ago but that was before I appreciated grown-up music!
Thanks Buster!
Can't remember if I've asked you before if you have this but fellow RCA artist Kay Starr had a 45 EP of songs from the TV episode of Producer's Showcase titled "The Lord Don't Play Favorites". Sadly, when about 5 or 6 I used this EP as a frisbee-like toy and watched it break in two. Now, I would treat it better.
Hi folks - thanks for the comments!
Ernie - You're right; I checked the photos of myself from back then and we all were in black and white.
FF - I love having the verse on any song. I especially like it when a long-familiar tune all of a sudden has an unexpected opening.
TupeloBrian - I do (or at least did) collect Kay Starr records, and that definitely would be one that would interest me. I know I have heard of it, but I don't think I have it - sorry!
Thank you sincerely Buster - I too am intrigued by the verse to Hello Young Lovers. But then Dinah could sing the phone book and it would be worth having.
Buster, I had 3 of these, and got Rain, Rain from the tube ~
http://ww6csmba42.1fichier.com/
1957 - The Lord Don't Play Favorites (RCA EPA-960)
Songs : Rain, Rain, The Things I Never Had, For Better Or For Worse, The Good Book
A small-time traveling circus is stranded in a small Kansas town that has been devastated by a drought. The town government has subjected the circus to large fines in order to raise money to hire a rainmaker to alleviate the drought. The circus folk find a way to turn the tables on the town to raise their own money to enter the circus' trick horse in the county race.
Kay Starr was featured in the 1956 'Producer's Showcase Production' of 'The Lord Don't Play Favorites.' In this made-for-television musical drama, she introduced two songs The Good
Book and The Things I Never Had, written by Hal Stanley and Irving Taylor-both became hits for her that year.
FF - Thanks so much for this! Much appreciated.
Thanks, flyingfinger. That's the album cover I remember on these inherited 45 eps that I mistreated so 40 years ago or more!
Thanks for the Dinah, Buster!
This one is still available, and still sounding swell.
Thanks, Buster.
Post a Comment