Sunday, March 16, 2014

'Today's Hits' with Bob Carroll

When I recently asked the readers of my other blog if they would like me to post some EPs by singer Bob Carroll, I was surprised that a number of people answered yes.

Who remembers this former big-band vocalist these days? Apparently some folks do. That's good because he was a fine artist, whose records I have always liked.

These two EPs may be the closest you will get to a Bob Carroll album. I don't have one in my collection, and as far as I can recall, he never made one.

Carroll first came to notice with the bands of Charlie Barnet and Jimmy Dorsey. He went on his own as early as 1947, and while he made many records, he never achieved great success as a singer. Later Carroll branched out into acting, both in musical comedy and drama, and worked steadily in that capacity.

These two EPs were in a series that RCA issued on its budget Camden label. (I have already posted one by Giselle MacKenzie.) They were a market response to other budget labels rushing out cheap cover versions of the current hit records. RCA generally used artists who had some name value.

CAE304 contains four big songs from 1955: "He" (Al Hibbler; the McGuire Sisters); "Suddenly There's a Valley" (Gogi Grant); "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" (Four Aces); and "Autumn Leaves" (an older song; I think this was inspired by the Nat King Cole version). Alvy West provides the backing, which sounds like it was phoned in - literally.

CAE331 concentrates on much less well-known songs, from 1956: "To You My Love" (Nick Noble); "Held for Questioning" (Rusty Draper); "I'll Be Home" (Pat Boone's cover of the 1955 Flamingos record); and "Ivory Tower" (Gale Storm). The orchestra is led by Earl Sheldon.

Carroll is in excellent voice, although his decision to start "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" with a forte falsetto note was perhaps not the best artistic decision of his career. Try instead his version of "Ivory Tower." Will Friedwald likens Carroll to Bing Crosby, but while the influence is there, to me he is closer to Tony Martin.

10 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!bVFUTJjK!YrMy9WWSDCQS8NSyUbs4gy-VlmZKZgoFcYqT0UOwe2g

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/64142973/file.html

John said...

Thanks Buster. Looking forward to listening to these!

Johnny

RonH said...

Never heard of Bob Carroll but sounds great. Thanks Buster.

Mac said...

Thanks for the shares here, this Bob Carroll sounds almost exactly like Gordon MacRae.

In fact, when I close my eyes I can’t tell the two of them apart – now that may be because I have my eyes closed but still….

Buster said...

Mac - I am sure Carroll and MacRae sound something alike, but Carroll's style is based on older singers like Bing and Tony Martin, I think.

Joe/Tom said...

Thank you--- I look forward to hearing and discovering !

Hit Parade said...

Buster,

I made my own nine track Bob Carroll "Greatest Hits" collection: My favorite was "Say It With Your Heart" (14-February 1953 on Cash Box and Billboard Juke Box charts. His biggest hit was "I Hear A Rhapsody" (2(6)-Nov-Dec. 1941) with Charley Barnet Orchestra. He even sang with The Glenn Miller Air Force Band. Your posting of these two EPs is very much appreciated. And your are correct, he sounds most like Tony Martin.

Stormy said...

Bob Carroll also recorded four singles for Chicago-based Bally Records in 1956-57.

Bally 1006 - Handwriting on the Wall b/w Red Confetti, Pink Balloons, Tambourines
Bally 1015 - Maria Elena b/w There's A Reason
Bally 1021 - My Mission in Life b/w I've Got A Right To Cry
Bally 1028 - Butterfly b/w Look What You've Done To Me

Buster said...

Stormy - Thanks! I am sure I have at least one of those singles. Carroll recorded for a number of labels.

Juan Francisco Ortiz Archila said...

Muchas gracias amigo, saludos