Thursday, June 12, 2014

Jerry Vale

I wanted to mark the recent passing of a fine singer, Jerry Vale, and even though I don't collect his records, I do have a few promotional items such as this 78 from early in his career.

Vale appears to be about 12 on this unusual promo label, but he was actually 23 when Columbia issued this single in spring 1954. The singer had been a Columbia artist for just over a year at that point.

Vale had a number of mild successes as a single artist such as "Innamorata" and "Pretend You Don't See Her," but he did well with his albums, starting with his tribute to Buddy Clark in 1958 - an LP that turns up far more often than Clark's own records do.

Vale really hit his stride with his easy going Columbia LPs from the mid-60s - ironically, at about the time that the mode for crooners was fading.

This particular single is a good one, with "Go" and "I'll Follow You" performed persuasively and backed by characteristically elaborate Percy Faith arrangements. Sorry that the record surfaces on this item are a little noisy.

2 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/42203571/file.html

https://mega.co.nz/#!eYFgCSDJ!XFA8AgYuMxW7KYJgUqUbanR0WbJmwiYpsrlkAWe1r20

earlybird said...

Thanks so much for posting this Vale recording. Also, thanks for letting us know he passed away. I wasn't aware we lost him in May.