YPR had the misfortune of being branded as a Communist-influenced organization during those tortured days, and many of its artists were likewise identified as sympathizers, such as folk singers Pete Seeger, Tom Glazer and Oscar Brand, as was YPR founder Horace Grenell.
The composer Aaron Copland also was in that category, although that is immaterial to his presence as the subject of this 78-rpm single, "The Music of Aaron Copland for Young People." This takes the form of a mother (radio-television actor Adelaide Klein) playing excerpts from the composer's music for her daughter (Madeline Lee), to a script by Raymond Abrashkin, YPR's staff writer.
![]() |
| Adelaide Klein |
The musical excerpts also include Appalachian Spring, El Salón México and Billy the Kid. All are well played by members of the New York Philharmonic led by Walter Hendl.
The dating of this record is uncertain, although I believe it comes from the late 1940s. YPR was founded in 1947, and Hendl was associate conductor of the New York band until 1949.
![]() |
| Walter Hendl |
YPR intended to produce a series of recordings about composers, but as far as I can tell, only this record and one devoted to Igor Stravinsky were ever completed.
I don't collect children's records (and didn't even when I was a tot), but I do have one other interesting item from the YPR/Children's Record Guild catalog - "By Rocket to the Moon" accompanied by the music of Raymond Scott, which I will share sometime in the future.



9 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://www.mediafire.com/?9760nvfq2vrqp63
"You won't need your wallet here, a thousand miles from the atmosphere." My brother and I have been using that line from "By Rocket to the Moon," which our father brought home in 1950, as code for being short on funds or out-and-out broke for decades. The prospect of a posting thrills me.
Thanks for sharing this, Buster. I've got a few of the records from this and the later version of the label. And I knew vaguely about the connection to the Red Scare, but you've helped fill in some of the gaps. Interesting stuff!
Fascinating, thank you! Very best wishes, Nick
David, Ernie and Nick - Thanks for commenting! David - I will be sure to transfer the Raymond Scott opus soon.
what a treat! thanks so much
Thank you very much for this! Aside from being both a hoot and a fascinating historical document, I'm looking forward to using Side 2 in class in a couple of weeks.
Thanks and best, Derek
Oh, and according to the discography in David Bonner's "Revolutionizing Children's Records," this recording was first released in 1948.
Derek - Thanks for both notes, and for the info about the date. Looks like my guesswork was accurate!
Post a Comment