It turns out that Stewart did have an earlier career, although it was an obscure one - and he really was quite a good singer.
This post brings together what are probably his two earliest recordings, both from 78s in my collection.
I believe the earlier of the two recordings, on the Metro label, dates from 1948. On it, Stewart is backed by a vocal group called the Victorians. The idea here was apparently to combine a singer who sounded a lot like Sinatra with a group that sounded just like the Mills Brothers. It all works surprisingly well, and the two innocuous songs are most pleasant - assuming you can tolerate the heavy surfaces on my well-worn copy.
I have not been able to find a date for the other record, which is on the Embassy label. The cover above may fool you into thinking the Embassy recording is an LP - it is not, and I was deceived myself when I picked it up years ago. It is a promo 78 sent to disk jockeys with a cardboard sleeve detailing Stewart's career, which to that point had entailed several big band stints and service as a plumber.While the Embassy folks claim that their single was Stewart's first, I believe this record postdates the Metro 78 by a few years. On Embassy, the singer (to my ears) betrays the influence of Eddie Fisher, who did not become popular until 1950. However, I will admit that it is possible that the Embassy release comes from as early as 1948 - I found evidence of a record company by that name being founded in that year.
![]() |
| M-G-M promo |
Now, because the singing styles on the two records are different, it is possible that there were two different crooning Bob Stewarts, although I think that is unlikely.
Stewart went on to tape a dozen or so songs for M-G-M in 1954, and had a least one single on Dot in 1957. But his most notable recording was a very good 1956 LP on Dawn with Mat Mathews, which has been reissued. After those efforts, nothing until his reemergence in about 1990.
This post is the result of a request from some time ago - sorry about the delay!


7 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h7f1xc0n73q47lc/Bob_Stewart_on_Metro_and_Embassy.zip
Thanks! It's amazing the things you can turn up when you really start digging.
thank you! I was looking to acquire some of his later recordings. I have a few of his CD's in my Amazon shopping cart
Thank you for sharing .. can you fill a request from me? I'm looking for Leroy Holmes - Baby Doll / The Maid Of Novgorod (MGM) been looking for years.
again .. thank you
bulldog - I will look. I know I have some Leroy Holmes singles on that label.
bulldog - Sorry, the only Holmes single I could locate is Jamie (from "A Bullet Is Waiting" / Tara's Theme.
.... thanks for looking .... the search goes on!!!
Post a Comment