Here we have her sole recording for the Columbia, done in 1956, a few years after she left RCA Victor. It contains two songs from a CBS television production starring Kirk. The label at right identifies the program as A Heart to Call My Own, but that is a mistake. It actually was The Human Touch, broadcast on April 15, 1956.
The teleplay, which appears to be lost, was almost literally "ripped from the headlines," as they said back then. Kirk played a New York night club singer, which she was in real life. After her character, Ruth Elliott, becomes the subject of a scurrilous article in a Confidential-style scandal magazine, she threatens a defamation lawsuit. Elliott then is offered a juicy Broadway role contingent on dropping the suit. The drama turns on the choice of following through with the suit or taking the role.
![]() |
| Lisa Kirk in full nightclub mode |
The Human Touch contained at least two songs, coupled on this single. "A Heart to Call My Own" by lyricist William Engvick and composer Alec Wilder, is the better of the pair, even though it contains a fairly conventional waltz melody by Wilder standards. The other song is "A Smile and a Ribbon" by Kirk's husband Bob Wells and Mark McIntyre.
The backings are by Columbia stalwart Percy Faith. I like Faith, but these arrangements can best be described as characteristic. The sound is excellent.


8 comments:
Link (Apple lossless format):
https://www.mediafire.com/?lbby2vks6linz0j
So, does this complete her discography? Is there anything of hers left out there to find that you know of?
Only on Columbia. She also made an LP for MGM that was reissued maybe 10 years ago (Sings at the Plaza). I have the the LP. There is a remake of Kiss Me, Kate in stereo and a various artists LP called Music from Shubert Alley. You have probably seen these both many times. And there are about 10 more RCA singles that I don't have. I assume she is also on the Mack and Mabel original cast LP, but I dislike Jerry Herman's music, so I don't have that.
Thanks, Marty!
Downloading from mediafire.com is impossible for me. When I try to click on the "download" button - my ISP network blocker comes up identifying the page as being malware infested. This is after at least one pop-up comes up with incredibly annoying advertising - usually gambling or some obscure game...
Have you considered using https://mega.nz/ for your uploads?
Cheers
Link:
https://mega.nz/#!eI12SbxS!IL6spG7sz4euyv9XQGnUIoqhESx2lhGA_HvszYSwGbk
Then you've never heard Tap Your Troubles Away? I ... I just can't imagine.
A Man and a Mouse - I have my prejudices. I don't think I've ever listened to Mack and Mabel, although I think I have the LP.
Post a Comment