Monday, February 11, 2019

Mary Osborne Sings

I shared Mary Osborne's sole LP on my other blog seven years ago. It's a fine effort, showing off her well-honed guitar skills. But Osborne was a talented vocalist, too, and she doesn't sing on her album. But if you go back quite a few years, she did vocalize on the very first record issued under her name. Today's post is devoted to that 78, which Bob Thiele issued on his Signature Records in 1946.

By that time, the 25-year-old Osborne had already racked up some signficant credits, having played with the bands of Buddy Rogers, Dick Stabile, Terry Shand, Joe Venuti and Russ Morgan.

Her Signature recordings were limited to six sides; she then moved on to Aladdin, Decca and eventually M-G-M. The Warwick LP (which is still available via my other blog) came out in 1959. Unfortunately, it didn't lead to more albums, to my knowledge.

The Signature single's A-side was "Hoodle Addle," a nonsensical but catchy Ray McKinley song also recorded by the composer and by the wonderful Ella Mae Morse. Mark Cantor's Celluloid Improvisations site has an enjoyable Columbia Pictures short of a relaxed and personable McKinley singing that number and introducing his band members, who included Mundell Lowe and Peanuts Hucko. It's well worth seeing. I plan to transfer some of McKinley's records for my other site soon.

Osborne's B-side was her own composition, "What to Do," a moody contrast to "Hoodle Addle." The excellent pianist is Sanford Gold. I've seen the bass playing credited to Frenchy Couette, one of those names that sounds like a jazz pseudonym.

The sound on the single is very good.

9 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/66yelrpm66jvz87/Mary_Osborne_Trio_-_Signature_15076.zip/file

Ernie said...

Thanks Buster. Was it usual for labels on Signature to feature the signature of the artist down at the bottom? DOn't think I've noticed that before. :)

Buster said...

Hi Ernie - I think all Signatures had the artist sign the label.

Buster said...

And of course as soon as I wrote that, I came across two Jeri Sullivan 78s on Signature that didn't have her signature.

Ernie said...

Yeah, I didn't think I'd ever noticed it before, possibly because it's not always there. :)

John said...

Speaking of Jeri Sullivan, I would love to see a post about her and her recordings. I know of her song Daddy-O, but would love to hear more. Thank you for this post of Mary Osborne. Much appreciated.

barba said...

good stuff.

Buster said...

John - I'll transfer the Jeri Sullivan materials soon. A few Signatures, a Capitol "Daddy-O" and maybe one other item.

John said...

Buster! You are so kind and generous. Thank you for offering a Jeri Sullivan share!!!