The artists were the 5 Red Caps, who appeared on my main blog in its early days, in their guise of Steve Gibson and the Red Caps. The group has a convoluted history, extensively covered by Marv Goldberg on his R&B Notebooks pages. The quick version is that the quintet was known as the Toppers until producer Joe Davis brought them into the studio and dubbed them the 5 Red Caps. Goldberg believes the name change was an attempt to fool the Musicians Union, who were striking the record companies at the time. For some time, the Toppers/5 Red Caps maintained the dual identity.
![]() |
| From Marv Goldberg's site |
I've remastered and reuploaded my earlier Red Caps posts for those interested. They consist of the 10-inch LP You're Driving Me Crazy (with a cover that has to be seen to be believed) and the EP Blueberry Hill plus four bonus 78 sides. Those posts have more on the Red Caps and their style of music. At the time of the Joe Davis record above, they were heavily under the spell of the Ink Spots - as were many groups.
It's an enjoyable record. Although the 78 was worn, the remastering has revealed very good presence with acceptable noise. As I mentioned above, David's interest was what he calls a lost Andy Razaf song, "Destination Unknown." Razaf wrote the lyrics to such well-known songs as "Ain't Misbehavin'," "Keepin' Out of Mischief Now" and "Honeysuckle Rose." David says he is deserving of the same increased attention as has been given to Willard Robison.
Follow @BusterBig10Inch


8 comments:
Thanks, Buster. That Internet Archive is really a treasure trove if you know what you're looking for! :)
"Destination Unknown" is, for me, a quintessential post-war title. Razaf, who wrote the great protest song, "Black and Blue" in 1929, knew that his title was freighted with contemporary political meaning. Indeed, many refugee and survivor memoirs from this time bear the same name; "Destination Unknown." So this 'love' song of abject wandering has a deliberate undercurrent of homelessness and futurelessness. Just how grateful America would be to the 125,000 Black Americans who served in the war remained a gaping open question when this song was written. During the war, there had been major race riots throughout the nation. One wonders how this song would have fared if given to the Ink Spots or Mills Brothers. In any case, I think it is a gem of double resonance. Here are the lyrics.
DESTINATION UNKNOWN
Tho fields are green, it's all just sand and gravel.
Where love you feel, I see no beauty there.
No matter how or where or when I travel,
I walk in search of winding up nowhere.
Without your love
I'm helpless and disabled;
my heart is labeled
“Destination Unknown.”
There's nothing more to dream,
to hang around for.
I'm only bound for
“Destination Unknown.”
All roads have the same name to me.
Tho I get nowhere in despair
I wander aimlessly
Until the day you say
you'll travel my way,
I'll mark my highway
“Destination Unknown.”
Thanks, Buster. This song needed to be found and, hopefully, sung.
Buster, Thank you for this 5 Red Caps share. How do I find the earlier posts that you remastered??
John - Thanks for your note! I forgot to insert the links above, but have now rectified the problem.
I notice that the Zippyshare download is long gone. Any chance of a re-up?
Charlot - Sure, let me find the files.
New link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/bc8gyZYI#z3YQQMxgBMsbjxTt2kw-X2bC-2n6GEmGp49Wi13cqsI
Visiting your site again, and found something that my pigeon hole taste likes, thanks so much Buster!
Post a Comment