Monday, April 15, 2019

Buddy Clark on V-Disc

The great but short-lived vocalist Buddy Clark recorded four songs for V-Disc that aren't found among his commercial recordings, at least in the same form. This post collects the four.

"How Are Things in Glocca Mora" is an alternate take to his 1946 Columbia record. The backing was by frequent collaborator Mitchell Ayres.

Buddy did "Peg O' My Heart" for Columbia, but this version for V-Disc was taken from an aircheck of a Contented Hour broadcast from May 1947. Percy Faith provided the accompaniment

The third item is one of the most unusual of all V-Discs. It was taken from a 1946 Columbia session that represented his first attempts at "Isn't This Better than Walking in the Rain."

Buddy Clark
Here for a V-Disc subtitled "Fluffs at a Record Session," we have a mash-up of two breakdown takes. In the first one, Buddy flubs the melody and makes up his own, invoking Dick Haymes and "Bingie Boy" in the process. In the second, he launches into a broad Jolson imitation. He ends with a plaintive "What the hell am I doing?"

The final item has a spoken Clark introduction - a feature of many V-Discs - followed by a reading of "You're Too Dangerous, Cherie" (an English-language version of "La Vie en Rose"). It was sourced from an October 1947 Contented Hour broadcast.

These are not my transfers, but I did work over the sound, and it's good, except for a high frequency roll-off and a bit of noise in the final item.

This post is a companion to a new survey on my other blog of some of Clark's Okeh, Columbia and Varsity records.

ADDENDUM - Sharp-eyed reader Max pointed out that I overlooked one of Clark's V-Discs, and it's a good one - a wonderful version of the Carmichael-Mercer "How Little We Know" made in 1945 with an excellent Army orchestra when the singer was Cpl. Buddy Clark. I've added a link to a repitched and remastered version in the comments. Thanks, Max!

14 comments:

Buster said...

Link:

https://mega.nz/#!jMF1FCJQ!enkiqoA4npiMHLz12aoVAFXO88Pc0I1Wr9E_CcQJrDk

David Federman said...

Buster, Listening to the Buddy Clark V-Discs makes me realize the god-like grip that Bing Crosby had on American singers who emerged in the 1940s. He was to pop singing what Charlie Parker was to jazz. But each of the acolytes became a major voice in their own right. Clark is one of the best of them. His version of "How Are Things in Glocca Mora" vies with Haymes'. Thank you for championing this great singer.

Buster said...

Thanks, David - I have a recording coming up that Clark made in 1935. The Crosby influence was more pronounced back then.

Scoredaddy said...

thank you Buster

Ernie said...

They made a V-disc that was nothing but a couple of flubbed takes? Never heard of such. Was it that hilarious or were they desperate for something to press? There's got to be a story there.

maxo said...

Hi Buster. There's another Buddy Clark V-Disc, of "How Little We Know," which he didn't record for Columbia:

https://archive.org/details/V-discs400-4991945/1945-05-xx-435-V-Disc-A-Cpl-Buddy-Clark-with-the-344th-ASF-Orchestra-Ft-Sheridan-Ilinois---How-Little-We-Know.mp3

Buster said...

Thanks, Max - not sure why this wasn't in my index, or perhaps I just overlooked it.

Buster said...

Here is a much higher bitrate version of "How Little We Know," which I overlooked in creating this survey. This has been remastered and the pitch corrected - it was very sharp.

https://mega.nz/#!6Rt2VA4L!6cmkkx5LJWsZZmLTp6WI2GV12hgw0nagHlbTnbk4GV0

cvllos said...

Excuse me Buster, this is an unapropriated place to ask you:
-I found just today an original LP, if I undestood correctly it was composed by you, absolutely original, with Thelonious Monk compositions;
-I tried to find it again but however I didn't succeed.
Please, Buster, where can I find it?
I run again and again, looking for it on both of your sites without success.
So decided to ask you for any help to find that LP, as digited by you.
I thank you too much for the atention of this request.

Buster said...

Hi cvllos, and thanks for your comments! I am quite sure that was not one of my transfers. I do have several Monk records, but I've never transferred one, and don't recall having a separate record of Monk compositions. Sorry, and good luck tracking it down.

cvllos said...

Sorry, Buster, and thanks for your attention. I'll get back to another search and tell you if I succeded. By the way, I was so gratified to see what you offered to us by recovering old and eternal 10 inch records of Paul Weston and those likes. To Jazz lovers, he had an important role with his arrangements and mounting inspired team of musicians. A nice work you did!

cvllos said...

Hi, Buster! I found it...Posted by Gems of Jazz..."Spastic & Personal", recorded in 1963 on Birdland!

Buster said...

Hi cvllos - Nice work! That's one I've never seen.

cvllos said...

TO those fellows who didn't succed, here it goes the Monk's link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?tq3tcc37t4k6xhb
Thanks to our fellows of Gems of Jazz!