Our friend David Federman asked for this version, saying it is his favorite of the beautiful Dietz-Schwartz song. To me, the prize goes to Buddy Clark, but I won't argue the matter. Both are wonderful - as is the Perry Como single. (The Buddy and Perry versions are in the Inside U.S.A. download.)
Damone is backed by Salvador "Tutti" Camarata on "Haunted Heart." Toots had already dispensed with his first name on record labels, styling himself as "Camarata," a la Liberace. Regardless, he was a fine arranger.
The flip side is "Tell Me a Story," an OK pop tune of the day also recorded by Sammy Kaye. Leading the band is Mitch Miller, then the A&R head of Mercury before moving the Columbia a few years later.
![]() |
| The young Vic Damone |
Follow @BusterBig10Inch


7 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!TUlBQYxT!LDjrZdsGZgggQ4dDKTUqzVDQxAGXngZPZzCUDExjmNk
Yeah, there a;ways was something about that Damone guy that was haunting. I though his heart problem was just gas...
Seriously, Damone was a fine and underrated singer in my book. Thanks for this little weekend treat, Buster!
Frank Sinatra never did a commercial recording of "Haunted Heart," to my knowledge, but here is a remastered 1948 aircheck of the song from My Hit Parade.
https://www78.zippyshare.com/v/6R4rre2j/file.html
As promised, here are other recordings and air checks of "Haunted Heart." First up, Bing Crosby, then Guy Lombardo and, finally, Jo Stafford. From the airwaves, I give you Margaret Whiting and Ilene Woods. I'm sure there are more versions of a song this magnificent. As usual, the link is at WeTransfer and it only lasts for a week.
https://we.tl/t-HaVVSqf9Vz
Thanks, David - I think I will post this on the other site as well. I'll reup it to Mega or Zippy.
Fantastic. One of my favorite songs. Wish I had made it in time to hear these.
New link for David's Haunted Heart compilation:
Haunted Heart on Records and Broadcasts
https://mega.nz/#!WIkAFYIJ!VQxWmh0q2AT1ihkhSZzmGSej2Rc-e7rWYX6_rdaYpCw
Post a Comment