The idea was to break up the serious parts of the concert with mirth. Back then (1954) I think they used to sell beer at the old hall (see tie-in ad below), so perhaps the audience was in the mood for a hoot and holler - or at least a discreet giggle.
Now Ernie has returned with an additional and intriguing Pops find. It is artifact called "TV-ana," a product of longtime Pops arranger Richard Hayman, who played the harmonica and recorded mood music and pops albums of his own when not under Fiedler's patronage.
In this record, Hayman weaves together various television themes and jingles of the time in a jovial manner. These would have been instantly familiar to the Boston audience, but 65 years later may be more arcana than "TV-ana" to any of you who didn't overdose on American television back in the day.
![]() |
| Click to enlarge |
If any of you recognize anything else in Hayman's arrangement, please let me know. Ernie is far too young to be of much help - but I do thank him for the contribution, as always!
By the way, the other side of this 45 is "The Glow-Worm Turns" - but that number also appears on the Fiedler's Folly EP previously on offer.
Follow @BusterBig10Inch


15 comments:
Link:
https://mega.nz/#!eds2wCSZ!7v-zHlSSw2HCfWnYOJTtBygbrGaWviUmChJh3J6Xu1w
Yeah, all I knew was NBC and Dragnet. I figured the rest of it was fluff, but I guess I was wrong. I look forward to anyone who may be able to identify more of the interwoven tunes! :)
Wasn't there a later Pops LP that actually featured Budweiser on the cover?
Ernie - Well, there is an Pops album with beer on the cover and there is a Budwesier cover, but I am not sure they are the same record. The Budweiser cover was with, I want to say, Larry David and his Orchestra, but that can't be right. I have both of them, and now I must find them!
Found it - Russ David and his Orchestra:
https://www.discogs.com/Russ-David-And-His-Orchestra-Where-Theres-Life/release/3791293
Well, that's the one I was thinking of, but I confused it with this one. And look closely at those mugs, I believe that's the AB logo. :)
https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Fiedler-Boston-Pops-Everything-But-The-Beer-Arthur-Fiedler-Conducts-A-Boston-Pops-Concert/release/7674337
Yes! We're both right. Budweiser must have had a big budget for record promos that year. And I do have both of them. Now I think I want to transfer the Larry (oops, Russ) David one.
Pretty sure I've got both as well, but I'd have a hard time putting my hand on either one. :(
LPs are the one part of my collection that is organized. Most of them, anyway. 78s are sort of organized. The 45s are a disaster. The CDs are somewhere down there.
We don't have the luxury of basements here in FL. I'm lucky to have as many albums as I do, but 99% of them are boxed up at random and that makes me sad. Someday when I retire, I hope to discover some great treasures hidden away in there. :)
You should see my current basement. It's about twice as big as the last one. And still not enough room.
Toward the end I heard " What'll you have, Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
Bob - Yes! Makes perfect sense. Thanks!
right after the colgate jingle, they go into the entire muriel cigar song. you can confirm this by typing "muriel cigars" at youtube. there are a couple of pre-edie adams animated commercials that would have been airing about the time of this record. why don't you search one up and play it sometime?
Barba - That’s one that I knew but couldn’t place - thanks!
between the posters and yourself, i think you have them all now. it is ironic that these tunes and the ads they came from are, by and large, more memorable than the shows they sponsored.
barba - Yeah, all I remember from 1954 are Captain Video and Howdy Doody.
Post a Comment