I got to know the soundtrack recordings from the album that appeared on 20th Century-Fox records in about 1960. Friday's vocal quality and command appealed to me then, and they still do now. I did a deep dive into the Sun Valley Serenade soundtrack recordings a few years ago on my other blog.
![]() |
| Capitol News, February 1945 |
I haven't been able to locate the four Decca sides, but Internet Archive yielded needle drops of six songs made for Enterprise in about 1946. One of those records is her commercial recording of the Lecuona-Ruby song "Mi Vida," which she dubbed for Vera-Ellen in the film Carnival in Costa Rica. The version on the film soundtrack was among the 24 Lecuona recordings recently featured on my main blog.
Also in the Enterprise collection are fine recordings of the standards "Don't Blame Me" and "It Had to Be You," with backing by the veteran Bennie Kruger. The leader's sax obbligato is far too prominent in "Don't Blame Me." Krueger also provides the accompaniment for "Mi Vida" and its flip side, "Too Late for Conversation." For the latter song, Friday's singing voice is in a much higher key than usual. I have included a repitched version of the song, but it's just as unconvincing.
The other songs are "Pin Marin," a good novelty number which Friday handles with just the right amount of personality, and the effective torch song "Tonight I'm Alone." Here the backing is by the Song Spinners, an organ and accordion combo.
The UK Glenn Miller site has an illuminating interview with Friday, where she recounts her brief career. She seems to have left the music business behind in about 1950 for a career in finance. Little detail is provided, but it seems as though she and her husband did very well. She died in 2016.
![]() |
| Billboard ad, August 31, 1946 |
Follow @BusterBig10Inch



6 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!6UkXVKgb!WYSGIQG0-Wu1UDc5nYvMDVc2uaf36nA0g2tv4Xx96nY
I love when you document the career of someone I'd otherwise have never heard of. Thanks, Buster!
She is one of my favorites as well! Buster, I have some of her Decca sides, please email if you'd like to hear them!
Thanks, Bryan - you will be hearing from me!
Pat Friday was a superb singer. I only wish she'd recorded more. Many thanks!
SwingKing - Absolutely! You're welcome!
Post a Comment