We continue our
series of the commercial recordings associated with Fred Astaire's films with
Swing Time from 1936. Unlike the last post, devoted to
A Damsel in Distress, this film has Ginger Rogers as Fred's love interest.
Swing Time is considered one of Fred and Ginger's best films, and the dancing and music are extraordinary. However, the plot is contrived and the viewer has to contend with Victor Moore, who was inexplicably popular as a side-kick character at the time. That said, the cast also features the great Helen Broderick and Eric Blore. The two appeared in three Astaire-Rogers films, as did Edward Everett Horton, who is not in Swing Time.
 |
| Johnny Green |
Unlike
Follow the Fleet,
Top Hat and
Carefree, Ginger Rogers made no commercial recordings of the songs from this film (as far as I can tell). Pianist-bandleader Johnny Green took up the slack, however, with a recording of "The Waltz in Swing Time" and a two-sided medley of the movie's Jerome Kern songs, all of which are in the download.
Green's piano and orchestra also provide the backing for Astaire's records. Green is joined by future bandleader Dave Terry for the duo-piano medleys.
As with most if not all Astaire films, the score delivered a few songs that have become standards - here, "The Way You Look Tonight" and "A Fine Romance." A few others have achieved some renown - "Pick Yourself Up" and "Never Gonna Dance." All are graced by the excellent lyrics of Dorothy Fields.
As a bonus I've added a 1941 recording by the Gordon String Quartet of "The Way You Look Tonight," from the second of the ensemble's two Kern albums. Quartet namesake Jacques Gordon was a former concertmaster of the Chicago Symphony. Violist William Lincer was to become the New York Philharmonic's principal in a few years. Cellist Fritz Magg had been the Met Opera principal.
 |
| To-night vs. Tonight |
If you examine the 78 labels carefully, you'll notice that the Astaire recording spells "The Way You Look To-night" with an hyphen (as does the sheet music). By the 1941 Gordon recording, that hyphen had been abandoned. Someone has done research on this phenomenon, and found that the written usage of the hyphen in "to-night" (and "to-day") was surpassed by the simplified spellings in the early '30s, to the point that the hyphenated versions are seldom if ever seen today.
The sound on these items is good. They originated with Internet Archive and were cleaned up by me. The download includes refurbished stills, posters and lobby cards.
13 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/rYFzxKJL#wYrrpPtRrfYxANiv4YVQYKFnqSwvFgOkvJaUNXG2t0A
Thanks Buster, most interesting, I'll give them a listen to-day. (And I think you mean to say hyphen where you say apostrophe, but I may be reading that wrong...)
Ernie - Right you are! Will fix.
I was fascinated to learn the difference between a hyphen and a dash, then there are the en-dash and em-dash. It's a world of punctuation I didn't even know about and still don't know how to type.
GREAT!!!
Ernie - Those are typesetting terms - an em-dash is the length of an "m", an en-dash the length of an "n". Back in the day, you would not typeset a space, then a hyphen, then another space. You would instead use an em-dash. (En-dashes were used less often.)
I think that if you type two hyphens in Word, it will automatically change them to a single em-dash. Alternatively, you can find the em-dash in Character Map.
gimpiero - Glad you like it!
Hi Buster,
Me again from "Big 10 inch Blogspot".
For some reason I am having problems getting into your comments section - a security app. keeps blocking your site.
A while ago I was looking at one of your entries in the blog and you mentioned one of your favourite painters - John Rogers Cox.
I am planning, perhaps my last "art road trip" to the States. I absolutely adore american art. Thinking of flying to Toronto - visiting galleries around the Great Lakes en route to relatives in Pennsylvania and then back to Toronto for return to UK.
Any thoughts?
Perhaps a "PM" to me at
Wonderful records! Fred Astaire’s 1930s recordings set an impossibly high standard with the combination of the great songs, his own vocals and the accompaniment by Johnny Green, Ray Noble, et al.
As for “Swing Time” the movie itself, I hear what you’re saying! I’ve heard for as long as I can remember that it’s the best Astaire/Rogers musical, as if it’s a fact, and while it’s an outstanding film, it’s never been my favorite of theirs.
I’d say “Top Hat” has at least as good a score (but all of their films have great scores) and a way better plot. And I’ll take Edward Everett Horton over Victor Moore any day!
Johnny - Yes, I much prefer Horton, who is in the next installment - Shall We Dance. Another great score!
Delightful. Thank you!
Richard - You are welcome, of course!
Post a Comment