![]() |
| Alan Dale, Don Cornell and Johnny Desmond |
The three Coral artists were Alan Dale, Don Cornell and Johnny Desmond, who despite the Anglo names were all of Italian descent, being baptized Aldo Sigismondi, Luigi Francisco Varlaro and Giovanni Alfredo De Simone.
Coral decided it had to do something different to promote the record to disc jockeys, so it prepared two promotional tracks, one by the trio and one by labelmate Eileen Barton that DJs could program to intro the cut. The trio's cut is amusing, but Barton sounds ill at ease.
These promos were on one side of the 78; the other was devoted to touting the flip side of the commercial 78, "I Think I'll Fall in Love Today," an good new song by the duo of Robert Allen and Al Stillman.
The "I Think I'll Fall in Love Today" promo was a complicated bit in which the DJs were to engage in rhythmic colloquy with the trio. The promo record went so far as to have Eileen Barton provide an example of how this was to be done. Honestly, I wonder if anyone actually used this contrived bit.
![]() |
| Eileen Barton |
A June 1954 Billboard article (in the download) notes the phenomenon, mentioning Dale-Cornell-Desmond along with Dale-Desmond-Buddy Greco, and a quartet encompassing Jane Russell, Della Russell, Connie Haines and Beryl Davis. The latter contingent had some sticking power. Jane, Connie and Beryl recorded a gospel LP for Capitol in 1957 called The Magic of Believing. The following year Coral issued a record called Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord by the four of them, with Rhonda Fleming replacing Della Russell on some songs. The Coral LP was largely a repackaging of earlier single releases.
The download includes both the promo record and the commercial release of the Dale-Cornell-Desmond materials.



9 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/LNNVwJZA#SPJzNB4nuN7OA3rxVqT_3KN9qd3J8CF2AQR3cqPg2eo
Great
Thanks, Buster! I love these group things. There's a couple of good ones out there with Phil Harris and I swear I saw Groucho Marx show up in one, though I could be imagining that one because I can't find it at the moment. :)
Thanks, folks!
Ernie - Groucho, eh? Sounds interesting!
Here 'tis! And check out the B-side, too. This would also fit on your Disney songs collection. :) https://archive.org/details/78_how-dye-do-and-shake-hands_danny-kaye-jimmy-durante-jane-wyman-groucho-marx-cy-cob_gbia0210882a
That's amazing. I wonder how Jane Wyman ended up with Kaye, Durante and Groucho.
That's a question that may be unanswerable at this point. But maybe if you do an awful lot of research and get very lucky. :)
This is an oddity but an interesting one, so thanks again, Buster.
Don Cornell's big hit was "It Isn't Fair," a song that I hated instantly when I heard it as a child. Cornell's tear-drenched delivery made "Ridi, Pagliaccio" sound positively cheery. Unfortunately, it is almost the only thing he is remembered for.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover, that (when he was not tearing passion to tatters and then into further, even smaller tatters, whilst sobbing uncontrollably) he was actually a fine singer of the Italian-American school.
It cannot be a coincidence that so many singers who grew up hearing the open sounds of Italian vowels at home became excellent singers.
BTW, on this site, your posts go through without a hitch.
For some unknowable reason, Norton continues to view you as The Embodiment of Evil on your main site, which makes navigating there difficult.
I am, however, also grateful for your Bart Howard/Portia Nelson post. I only knew her from those Goddard L. show albums, so, once again, big thanks are in order.
Hi charlot- All three of these singers are pretty good, and not afraid of making fun of themselves. I do hope you enjoy the Portia Nelson songs. By the way, your comments are always appreciated, wherever you post them! Can you whitelist the main site in Norton?
Post a Comment