The 45 rpm format, introduced in 1949, originally was used for singles (i.e., one song per side), but it wasn't long before an "extended play" (EP) version appeared, with two songs on each side. These were largely given over to pop records - repackaging of older singles, themed collections (e.g., "Hits from My Fair Lady"), and so on. But even classical recordings came out on EP, not so much in the US, but in Europe and perhaps elsewhere. Today's post brings us an example of that species.
Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance Marches were well suited to the EP format. There are five such marches (six if you count the one reconstructed from sketches 70 years after the composer's death). However, only four will fit onto an EP, two per side. This allows the label to include the best-known marches (No. 1 and No. 4), along with No. 2 and No. 5.
The trio section of No. 1 is famed in its guise as "Land of Hope and Glory," a setting made by Elgar for his 1902 Coronation Ode, in honor of new King Edward VII. In the US, it is best known as the traditional graduation hymn - a tradition associated with Elgar. It reputedly began at Yale University in 1905 when the composer received an honorary degree, and the tune was used for the recessional.
The trio of No. 4 is hardly less memorable than No. 1, and in both works, they are beautifully set off by the march tunes. No. 1 has an organ accompaniment in the final section, included in this recording. The other marches are less familiar, but most enjoyable.On this recording, all four are handsomely played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Stanley Pope. The conductor generally takes quick tempos, which work well. (The need to keep side length under control may also have hurried things along.)
These days Pope is little remembered, probably because he left very few recordings for posterity. There are these marches, Schumann's Symphony No. 4 and a few transcriptions, including one of symphonies by Robert Simpson and Havergal Brian.
Born in 1916 in London, Pope studied conducting with Paul Kletzki and eventually conducted widely in Europe. He died in 1995. I have only found one photo of him - the one on the EP cover above. With his Van Dyke beard and penetrating stare, Pope gives off Mephistophelian vibes, but who knows what he was really like on the podium or elsewhere.
The marches were made in December 1954 in the Walthamstow Assembly Hall, which was frequently used for recordings, and which here produced pleasing sound - just a bit tubby. The download includes two laudatory reviews and two ads - one is below, promising "extended pleasure," which I hope the EP provides.



5 comments:
Extended pleasure, huh? There's so many places to take that... I'm going to counter with Bob Hope & Rosemary Clooney's duet Protection. https://www.discogs.com/release/7531725-Rosemary-Clooney-And-Bob-Hope-Orchestra-conducted-by-Gus-Levene-Aint-A-Hankerin-Protection/image/SW1hZ2U6MjAxMjMyNzU=
Ernie - Yes, indeed! I see the flipside of that release is "Ain't a-Hankerin'," so the protection may be a moot point.
Dear Buster, what a lovely little treasure - thank you so much! I'm no expert but I don't know that this has ever seen the light of day in another format. In fact even the British Library doesn't have a copy :o - which goes to show how easily these discs are overlooked. Thank you for the background info, too – I didn't know that about 'Land of Hope and Glory' at Yale. All the very best, as ever, G
Hi Nick - It's interesting that this release was never reissued in another format. I don't recall where I found it, but I imagine I bought it because I wasn't familiar with Stanley Pope.
Link (ambient stereo, Apple lossless format):
https://mega.nz/file/iQsCiIrA#x5sZZsFpdyGerZDSHFYefJDXzC-o4Gf42TF0Xcq0mbg
Post a Comment