But before we get to them, let's listen to one of the numbers that Derise recorded with Claude Thornhill and the Snowflakes in 1949 for the transcription company Thesaurus. The Snowflakes and Derise did eight songs for Thesaurus, but I have just the one at hand, derived from an old bootleg.
The transcription is a version of "I Don't Know Why (I Just Do)," which the group also recorded for RCA Victor in a similar arrangement. (You can find the RCA disc in the earlier Thornhill collection.)
The instrumental chart is by Gil Evans, with Derise responsible for the vocal arrangement on both 1949 recordings.
After Derise left Claude Thornhill in 1950, he formed a group called the Four Jacks and a Jill. As far as I can tell, they made only a few recordings. The first was in support of the Al Lombardi Quintet and vocalist Poppy Marin on the small Robin Hood label. The song was a cover of one of the many mildly risqué numbers that April Stevens specialized in, called "Don't Do It." This dates from 1951.In 1954, Derise provided the arrangements and instrumental backing for a single by vocalist Ray King on the small Vitam label. The songs were "Can It Be Love" and "I'll Always Love You." If the label is to be believed, the latter was the title song of a film, but I can't find any trace of such a release. King's single did elicit a mildly positive review from Cash Box.
King was probably the singer that Cash Box wrote about earlier in 1954: "Anchor Records has just released a pop single by singer Ray King, whom the diskery is billing as 'The Singing Truck Driver,'" helpfully adding, "He is being billed in this way because he makes his living as a truck driver."For the final coupling in this group, the Four Jacks and a Jill return to back soloist Marie Peters for a release on another tiny label, Jester Records. Derise provided the arrangements for the vocal group and presumably the accompanying Les Barry Trio.
The first song is "Maybe, I'll Find You Tomorrow," which Peters sings earnestly. The flip side is a clumsy piece called "The Old Fashioned Way." The only information I can find about the singer is a 1957 Billboard report that she had taken a job as a disc jockey in Springfield, Massachusetts. It's not clear when the Jester record was made but I suspect it was before Derise joined Bethlehem as a solo artist.



14 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/2Bt2DRJI#l05FOD5-jCkb3WJhHhqUNccehSZ90iJfqEQsZNPQO_c
A winner. Fantastic. Thanks so much Buster.
Cool stuff! Pretty sure that Robin Hood label was headed by Louis Prima, or some of his cohorts. Most of the early catalog numbers on the label are his records, and I think a couple with Keely. Thanks for digging up more goodies!
You're welcome, Ron!
Ernie - The only Robin Hood releases I have seen in the wild feature Prima. Didn't know he might have been the head of the label.
Discogs says run by Leo Rogers, but co-owned by him, Prima, and one other fellow. Looking down the list, Prima is the biggest artist I see.
https://www.discogs.com/label/791336-Robin-Hood-3
Yeah, it had to be set up to issue recordings by him and a few friends. I'm not convinced those later issues are from the same label - there were several with the name "Robin Hood."
Could have been reactivated to release some old recordings or something, but yeah, there are quite a few Robin Hood labels. BSN is no help here, though they do mention this Robin Hood at the top of the other Robin Hood label they've done.
Fascinating stuff! Thanks for putting it together!
I think Ray King kind of had something. If he is indeed the singing truck driver, I can see why he was a big hit singing at union events and such. In another world with different breaks, could he have been a star?
“I’ll Always Love You” supposedly being a movie title song is a real mystery!
The Marie Peters recording of “Old Fashioned Way” is indeed clumsy, but the lyrics serve as something of a fun time capsule as she sings about then-modern things.
Always something to enjoy in these little nuggets of music history you share!
Thanks, Johnny - Ray King certainly could sing, although his style is not to my taste. You're right, there are always things to amuse in these old records. That's why we love them so much!
Wow! Thanks!
You're welcome, Beppo!
Excellent! I'm a huge Thornhill fan but don't have most of these sides. Many thanks!
Hi Grover - Just FYI, only the first track is with Thornhill. The others are IMO deservedly obscure, posted for completeness sake.
Post a Comment