Saturday, July 26, 2025

Today's (Make That 1955's) Hits with Charlie Spivak

Trumpeter Charlie Spivak was a long-time RCA Victor artist, but tastes had changed in 1955 from the heyday of the big bands, so he was assigned to record cover songs for RCA's budget Camden label.

Charlie's presence does work on this EP, however, which consists entirely of mainstream songs - no R&B or R&R.

Camden churned out a variety of such sets at the time, several from 1955. These were issued both as EPs, as here, and in the LP format. The idea was to combat the budget labels that were cranking out cover records day and night. On this blog, we recently heard from Camden's Snooky Lanson; there also were older entries by Bob Carroll and Gisele MacKenzie. The main blog has played host to Stuart Foster and various artists.

The secondary ensemble on Spivak's record was the Honey Dreamers, a vocal group who were promoted to headliners in 1956 for another of these Today's Hits releases, which recently appeared here. Like Spivak, they came up in the 1940s and represented an vocal tradition that was being supplanted in the mid-1950s. At about the same time, the group made a very good Gershwin LP that has appeared on my other blog.

The Honey Dreamers: Bob Davis, Nan Green, Marion Bye, Bob Mitchell and Jerry Packer

Also on the Spivak date is a vocalist named Audrey Morris. Oddly, there was a singer of that name under contract to RCA's "X" label at the same time, but the aural evidence is that this is not her. In fact, I have no information on this other Audrey Morris.

Spivak's trumpet is heard throughout the EP. He was never a jazz artist, but listening to his lovely tone is always a delight.

Here are the songs on the EP:

  • "Learnin' the Blues" - A big hit for Frank Sinatra, the Vicky Silver song was written for and first recorded on a local label by Joe Valino in 1954. (I have quite a few Valino records, and have been meaning to transfer them for 15 years or so.) The Honey Dreamers handle the vocals.
  • "I'll Never Stop Loving You" - Nicholas Brodsky and Sammy Cahn wrote this for Doris Day to sing in Love Me or Leave Me, where she played Ruth Etting. The Other Audrey Morris sings it well enough, although she misses the fatalistic edge that Day brought to the song.
  • "A Blossom Fell" - Howard Barnes, Harold Cornelius, and Dominic John wrote this clunky song of betrayal, and Nat King Cole's unique warmth and sincerity made it a hit. The Other Audrey Morris is not in his league.
  • "Something's Gotta Give" - Johnny Mercer's dynamic song was written for Fred Astaire, who is incomparable singing it in Daddy Long Legs. The Honey Dreamers do it nicely, but they are once again up against a legend.

"I'll Never Stop Loving You" and "Something's Gotta Give" were nominated for an Academy Award for best song, but lost to "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" - which appeared on one of the Today's Hits EPs featuring Bob Carroll.

As for the Real Audrey Morris, she was a very good singer who made two LPs in the 1950s, one for "X" and one for Bethlehem. The latter is a real gem. I may prepare a post for the main blog featuring both albums.

LINK

20 comments:

RonH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RonH said...

I'm crazy about the Honeydreamers. Actually, all the vocal groups from that era, up to and including the Johnny Mann and Anita Kerr era.
By the way, I have the two Audrey Morris albums. I'm hoping for some nice, clean copies. Thanks so much for this EP.

gimpiero said...

Great

RecordCollector said...

Thanks Buster for sharing this wonderful material! Love it.

gimpiero said...

We need Audrey Morris 2 Lp's please ...

Buster said...

Ron - Yes, these are very nice copies of the Audrey Morris, plus there is a three-song bonus.

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

Buster said...

RC - Always a pleasure!

Buster said...

gimpiero - Will post the Morris material, but not for a little while.

gimpiero said...

ok thank you ....

Ernie said...

Thanks for the little EP, Buster. More stuff that's been lost to time.

Buster said...

Ernie - Yes, indeed. These performers are no longer remembered by most, especially the mysterious Audrey Morris.

musicman1979 said...

Excellent collection! For a budget EP, this is actually a good quality package. Spivak and the Honey Dreamers put a new shade to Sinatra's "Learnin' the Blues" that makes it totally unique to this package. Spivak does have some great trumpet solos on this, with his solo on "I'll Never Stop Loving You" similar in style to that of Ralph Marterie. Audrey Morris reminds me of a couple of other singers, including Kitty Kallen, yet she does a great job on her songs. "A Blossom Fell" almost has a Harry James-Helen Forrest kind of flavoring, while "Something's Gotta Give" has a real solid Jazz element to the music. Back then, people were probably more familiar with Sammy Davis Jr's and The McGuire Sisters' versions of "Something's Gotta Give (the latter being my all-time favorite version of this tune) than with Fred Astaire's when this EP came out 70 years ago. Excellent Big Band EP. Perfect five stars from me.

Buster said...

musicman - Glad you enjoyed it! You're right about Sammy and the McGuires, both of which I remember from 68 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore, who is a Spivak enthusiast, never knew his career spanned into the 1950s. Once after a live performance, Peggy King reminisced with me about her days with Spivak. She said he was, to put it mildly, a very temperamental boss. But otherwise she loved the band and Spivak's musicianship. I have as many of his 1940s recordings as I could find, but you've just filled in a big blank. Thanks as always.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore a second time: While listening to "I'll Never Stop Loving You," I remembered meeting Maxine Sullivan. She was about to record an album and asked me if I had any requests. It was this song, and, by golly, she recorded it.

Buster said...

Dave - Great anecdote about Maxine Sullivan! "I'll Never Stop Loving You" is a terrific song.

Buster said...

Dave - I never paid much attention to Charlie, but he sure could play.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore believed two trumpet-playing bandleaders, Spivak and Ray Anthony, were in Glenn Miller’s band. Indeed, I think Miller helped finance Spivak when he left to form his band. Acrobat released a 3-CD set devoted to Spivak. His taste was excellent and his arrangements were superb.

Buster said...

Thanks, Dave - I'll have to check that out. Fine player.