London was a protégé (and later wife) of singer-songwriter-pianist Bobby Troup, who brought her to both labels and accompanied her with his quintet. Her success with Liberty was immediate - her version of "Cry Me a River" became famous for her hyper-cool vocals.
The Bethlehem sides have a similar approach - and appropriately "You're Blasé" is one of the selections. Also on the bill are "A Foggy Day," "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" and "Don't Worry 'Bout Me."
These recordings come from a March 2, 1955 session, per James Harrod's informative article, Bobby Troup on Record, 1948-55. The backing musicians were Troup's usual accomplices (Bob Enevoldsen, bass, Howard Roberts, guitar, and Don Heath, drums, augmented by the excellent Buddy Collette on flute. (Collette became one of the founding members of the Chico Hamilton Quartet at about the same time.)
Bethlehem issued the four London songs on singles, on the EP shown above, and on an LP called Bethlehem's Girl Friends, where she shared the grooves with Carmen McRae and Chris Connor. My transfers come from the LP. The songs also appeared on a variety of budget labels after the demise of Bethlehem.
These recordings weren't a success in the market, but London's first Liberty disc, "Cry Me a River," was, very much so. Parenthetically, my two favorite recordings of "Cry Me a River" take opposite approaches - the cool disdain of Julie London, and the anger and disgust of Barbra Streisand's 1963 version - which led off her debut LP, which made her even more famous than London. This fine song was Arthur Hamilton's greatest hit; London's was the first recording.
This post is a companion to a survey of Troup's Bethlehem recordings, new on my main blog.

17 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/jNlTjagK#3B_Lyc6zUvBF6aRTMxCX1rfTDOOPqB4uBvy5wKJD2a8
Very cool stuff! Thanks, Buster!
Fantastic! Thanks so much.
Hi Ernie and Ron - Two of my favorite (and quickest) commenters!
Many thanks. 'River' was written for Ella whose version, complete with scatting, rather misses the point. There is an up tempo jolly Dinah Shore. But how to compete with the definitive wonderful vanilla London version ? The Streisand is -- er -- extravagant -- to put it kindly. A full 18 points for getting 'plebeian' into a song lyric -- and -- sort of -- rhyming it.
zoot,
I was 14 when Streisand's first record came out, and I loved it! Her style of singing is usually not my thing, but I still love her first few LPs. I think Ella's version of "RIver" was a bit later than Julie (although the song was written for Ella, true) - perhaps she was trying to put some distance between her and London. (I hate scat singing, as I have mentioned many times.)
I like the rhyming of "pleleian" and "through with me, and" - both the term and its use are unexpected, to say the least.
Let me see -- the Streisand was 1963 which makes us about exact contemporaries. I also share your general dislike of scatting but yesterday was into Mildred 'Blues In My Heart', Casa Loma 1931, which is sublime. I would also have to -- mostly -- extol Louis. Ella is 1961 and, as you say, would have had, as creative artist, to provide an alternative view to London. Dinah W manages that. There is a Baez which is a mere pale cover. But you can overdo it.
I am not nearly as fond of Armstrong's singing as most people. He used scat singing as a fun interlude; many singers use it to signal they are hip.
Louis' scat could be fun, sure, but also profound -- 'West End Blues'. Annie Ross was fun -- and hip.
In 1983, Terry Gross on Fresh Air hosted a live concert on the air to celebrate her new national show. It featured the 1950's vocalist Peggy King who was starting a second career as a cabaret singer. She sang "Cry Me a River" and fellow Philadelphian Arthur Hamilton was there. She also sang Hamilton's "Rain Sometimes", another great ballad. Her performances were wise, worldly, and wonderful. They may be available on Fresh Air Archive on the the website for Fresh Air. Better than anything other than Julie London.
agmiller - Thanks for your note! I like Peggy King and posted one of her LPs a long time ago on my other blog.
A "pop standards" station I used to listen to had an odd record of "Cry Me a River" they kept in regular rotation, it was London's original recording of "River," but with an orchestra and vocal chorus overdubbed. Never heard that anywhere else but on that stattion,
Randy - I think she re-recorded it for Liberty a few years later, with a band, etc.
Yes. With Felix Slatkin Orchestra. Liberty 55257.
I don't have it.
Don't think it was ever on a US LP or CD. Mebbe Japan reissue CD? Japanese have done a lot on her that is not available domestically.
Buster, thank you for these historic recordings1
lafong - I don't think I have it either, but I should check.
moxmix - Sure, I love to do it!
Post a Comment