These were two of the most important figures in the British motor industry. Lord had been head of Morris before becoming he chairman of Austin. Starting in 1952, he led the combined Austin-Morris operation, which took the name British Motor Corp. Eyston was best known for breaking the land-speed record three times between 1937 and 1939 in his car Thunderbolt.
![]() |
| Leonard Lord; George Eyston and Thunderbolt |
![]() |
| UK ad |
Of course, the Austin was a small car and relatively inexpensive. It cost about £500, or about US$22,000 today. Here are some of the currrent vehicles you can purchase for that amount. I suspect they all have heaters.
The reviewers were not taken with the looks of the A40, thinking it old fashioned. It is clearly based on the American cars of the late 1930s, but also is not that dissimilar from postwar American cars, although the latter are gargantuan in comparison. The A40 did well in the market, and was sold until 1952.
It's instructive to compare this introductory record for dealers to the one the Ford Motor Company issued to promote its new Edsel in 1957. That was the souvenir of a touring musical extravaganza that had been presented in five regions and later in 24 more cities. On the first side, there was a story line about "Adam and Eve," the first Edsel customers. Side 2 shared the tale of a dealer and his family, and the great if fleeting prestige they derived from being associated with Edsel.
I'm not so sure that Lord and Eyston, with their clear recitation of the features and benefits of the new model, were not more helpful and persuasive than Ford with its dancers and chorus - and no particular point of view as to why the Edsel was superior to any other car.
This 78 from the Internet Archive stash was very noisy; it took some effort to subdue the commotion. My thanks once again to Ernie for alerting me to this item.



7 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/qI9DjRZK#OSn-1XI36My83lV_y7oj4yVXe9WBvFQsZq3WmKXHZFY
Cool, thanks Buster! I just send you everything I see, and hope you like some of it. :) Do you think all five of those people are going to squeeze into that tiny car? I hope they aren't going far.
Thanks, Ernie - It was something of a tradition in American car ads to make the people small and the cars huge relative to actuality. Not sure if the Brits did the same thing, but if so, things would have been even more cramped than it appears in the ad. The A40 had a smaller wheelbase than an old VW Beetle, do it was by no means roomy.
Growing up in mid-60s Britain there were still some A40s around - but they were the more angular, A40 Farina, a replacement introduced circa 1958.
Hi Andrew - Austin seems to have used the "A40" designation with a variety of model names, starting with the Dorset and the Devon shown in the ad, including light trucks, vans, etc.
Thank you for this interesting post. I live in the UK and I have had a diecast model of Thunderbolt since I was a child (I'm now 70) and I had no idea what it was meant to represent. Thank you for all of the other posts as well.
Hi Geoff - I used to collect those die-cast models of UK cars when I was young myself, even though I am in the US. Thanks for your note!
Post a Comment