Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Evolution of 'Time Was'

Miguel Prado
In the past, I've posted two versions of the lovely song, "Time Was" - one by Buddy Clark with Wayne King, and more recently one by Bob Manning on his Lonely Spell LP. "Time Was" has an interesting history, involving three different incarnations, all of which surfaced in the space of a few years. Today we'll look at the various versions in contemporary recordings.

"Time Was" started life as the ballad "Duerme" ("Sleep") by the Mexican composer Miguel Prado (1905-87) with words by Gabriel Luna. Its first recording was likely in June 1937, with the Orquesta Castillito directed by Paulina Alvarez and the vocal by Prado himself. I haven't been able to locate a copy of this recording, which was made in Havana.

Al Bowlly
The following year, "Duerme" turned up in the film Di Que Me Quieres, as sung by Rosita Rios both in the film and for Victor. The recording was made in New York, the setting of the movie. Rios' record is the first in our set.

"Duerme" became "Dreaming" for a 1940 record by the great South African-born English vocalist Al Bowlly, with an orchestra directed by an uncredited Ronnie Munro. This is a well-sung version. The lyrics are standard-issue, although resonant because of the war: "Dreaming, dreaming of you in the firelight's glow / Sweetheart I want you to always know / Each night I dream of you."

Late that same year, Xavier Cugat recorded the song with its original lyrics as sung by his then-wife, Carmen Castillo. Cugat's version did gain some traction. 

Xavier Cugat and Carmen Castillo
Tito Guízar
The next version was by the excellent Mexican vocalist Tito Guízar, resident in the US since 1929. Both Guízar and Cugat used the original Luna lyrics, although both of the copies in this collection were labelled "Time Was (Duerme)." My guess is that these pressings came out after the song became popular with new English lyrics by S.K. Russell.

Perhaps the most successful of those English language records was that of Jimmy Dorsey, which is also the worst of all the renditions featured here. The vocals start with Bob Eberly, who is effortful as usual, but pleasant enough. 

Then Dorsey decides to "swing it," and brings in Helen O'Connell for an up-tempo chorus. She was just not a very good singer, sad to say. The song ends with an elaborate alto solo from the leader.

Helen O'Connell and Bob Eberly
The best record is surely that of Wayne King, from just a month after Dorsey. King leads off with a fine soprano sax solo (at least I assume it is King), followed by a superb vocal by an uncredited Buddy Clark. (He was anonymous because he was under contract with another label.)
Wayne King
Clark makes the most of the Russell lyrics, which aren't great, but much better than what Al Bowlly sang. (The words tell us of "Picnics and sleigh rides / And mid-winter hay rides" and the like.) I passed over this record quickly in my survey of Clark's recordings with Wayne King, so I've included it once again in this compilation. It's well worth hearing a second time.

BONUS - My friend and longtime blog follower Mel has passed along his own favorite interpretation of "Time Was." It is a swinging version by Janet Brace, a very good singer who started with big bands, notably Johnny Long's, then made a few singles for Decca. This comes from her only LP, Special Delivery, issued by ABC-Paramount in 1956. A quartet led by Don Elliott accompanies her.

I don't believe I have this record myself, so I am especially grateful to Mel for his contribution. I should gather up Janet's singles for a post - she was talented!

The link to this item is in the comments.

12 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/file/HEViiQhL#tKS9vayw_Rmjk5OGg4UwfXXqVLj3wlfyRVSTyIqGy2k

Ernie said...

Thanks Buster. Not familiar with the song, but I'll give it a listen.

Andrew said...

Readers of a certain age in the UK know the Nelson Riddle version (from his LP 'C'mon..Get Happy') - which introduced Hubert Gregg's long-running Radio 2 programme 'Thanks For The Memory'. I suppose Gregg's lasting legacy will be for having written the song "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner". A few complete radio shows are online including this from 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q09ELZmhSs

Buster said...

Hi Ernie - Hope you like it!

Buster said...

Hi Andrew - Hey, I have that Riddle record! Thanks for reminding me, and for the link.

Buster said...

Janet Brace link:

https://mega.nz/file/6c9TVIYL#aN9a9jwW5kHtaxCB93cGQh9VfIPkBANYEP2hBNYaohs

Nigel said...

Strangely, the Wikipedia listing of his songs does not include this one!

Buster said...

Nigel - That is strange, indeed.

Mac said...

Interesting to listen to the evolution of a song - which is very pretty in a nostalgic way for sure - my favorite version is the 58' 4-Freshman one, of course anything by the Freshman is quite lovely and worth collection - but that might just be me Thanks for the share here

Buster said...

Mac - Thanks for the note. Mel (mentioned in the post above) sent me a note with all the various versions of "Time Was" he has accumulated - the Freshmen among them. I do have that record myself, but haven't heard it for ages.

Wortley Clutterbuck said...

Thank you so much for this survey! I remember first hearing Duerme on a collection of WWII songs and falling instantly in love. By extension, obviously, I find myself more than a little bit in love with Buster for all the joy that provided. Thanks again and as always. xoxox

Buster said...

Wortley - Aw, you're too sweet! Glad to hear from another "Time Was" fancier.