Today we return to her work as a vocalist, with six songs recorded from 1946 to 1952. Most were issued under her own name, with one as featured vocalist with pianist Mary Lou Williams.
Although she did not have a large voice or range, Osborne was a most talented singer, entirely persuasive in both ballads and swingers, both represented here.
The first song, "(She's) He's Funny That Way," dates from the late 1920s, but, as noted on the label, was used in the steamy 1946 noir, The Postman Always Rings Twice. On this record, Osborne received top billing over the group, Mary Lou Williams' Girl Stars. That combo had been assembled for Williams by Leonard Feather. One of the "Girl Stars" on this date was actually a Boy Star, bassist Billy Taylor, disguised on the label as "Bea Taylor." It's a very good performance, with Osborne showing an appealing wistful quality.
The second selection is also with Mary Lou Williams' Girl Stars, although here Williams is top-billed and Osborne is credited with the "vocal refrain." The song is "It Must Be True," which Bing Crosby had recorded with the song's author, Gus Arnheim, in 1933. By this time the Girl Stars had moved from the small Continental label to RCA Victor. This number has a fine Osborne guitar solo.
Mary Lou Williams was an important jazz figure, who made her name as pianist, composer and arranger for Andy Kirk's Twelve Clouds of Joy (including one of my favorite big band records, "Froggy Bottom").
In late 1947, Osborne had a solo date for Decca, with a small group that included longtime studio pianist and arranger Jack Pleis (uncredited on the label). It produced "You're Gonna Get My Letter in the Morning" (which has an excellent guitar break) and "Wonder Where's My Man Tonight," both good songs and nicely done.Our final items come from a single on M-G-M released in late 1952. For these, the label (or Osborne?) reached back to two 1936 films, and selected "Twilight on the Trail" (from The Trail of the Lonesome Pine, where it was sung by Fuzzy Knight) and "Easy to Love" (from Born to Dance, where it was awkwardly introduced by James Stewart). Osborne does wonders with "Twilight on the Trail," which is actually a beautiful song, even with the clip-clop backing! And her take on "Easy to Love" is terrific, first moody, then swinging.
All items are in excellent sound, with the basic rips remastered from Internet Archive's big stash.


6 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/fBdWFZgI#1csyQHqKGCgYfCs3DHW8rVY3cXRVVSQFi9poNkEY_jc
More excellent finds! Thanks for the archeology, Buster!
Happy and amazed. Where do you get them from? I do not want to know. I'm happy with it. From times when there was no TV etc. I vaguely remember those times. Were we happier then? No idea. Now with this beautiful Mary Osborne. Thanks again Buster
Thanks, Ernie and Ron. Ron - I don't remember a time before TV, even though I am 73. One early TV memory is the Ames Brothers singing "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane," complete with a baby prop. It must have been when I was five.
Thanks, Buster! I had no idea that Mary Osborne was a singer in addition to her wonderful guitar work. I remember "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane," from back when, but couldn't have told you it was the Ames Bros. singing it.
sir in tx - I didn't know she sang either until I came across the first 78 I offered. And I didn't remember it was the Ames Brothers until I saw the reference to their biggest hits!
Post a Comment